Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

June 1st, 2017 12:00

Reducing Aurora R4 fan noise...

I have Aurora R4 with 3930K. The water cooling has been replaced with Corsair H80i. The noise level went down since then but it's still noticeable. I unplugged the memory fan. The noise level went down a little bit more. There is another fan above CPU (for the chipset maybe). Anyone has experience replacing that fan with a lower noise model? Which replacement model should I get?

Another question is, are there any other hidden fans (e.g. hdd fan) which I could possibly replace for reducing the noise? Thanks!

3 Posts

June 1st, 2017 14:00

Is "PCI-e fan" the built-in fan on the video card? If so, I won't do anything about it for now.

For the HDD fan, where is it? Its whereabouts is not obvious to me after I open the chassis. Is there a picture to indicate its location on Dell web site?

And which replacement model should I get for lower noise for those fans (chipset + HDD)? Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 1st, 2017 14:00

There should be a "PCIe fan" for the PCIe cards (like video card) and also one for the Hard-Drives. You should see them reporting in your Thermal Controller.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 1st, 2017 15:00

xxxin wrote:

1. Is "PCI-e fan" the built-in fan on the video card? If so, I won't do anything about it for now.

2. For the HDD fan, where is it? Its whereabouts is not obvious to me after I open the chassis. Is there a picture to indicate its location on Dell web site?

And which replacement model should I get for lower noise for those fans (chipset + HDD)? Thanks!

1. No. It's in the front lower case. Pretty much the only fan bringing in new cool air into the case.

2. It's between the 2 HDD bays. You might want to grab PDF Service Manual.

How to spec fans for replacement:

https://community.dell.com/message/130164-re-aurora-r5-case-fan-replacement

3 Posts

June 1st, 2017 23:00

Checked the user manual on Dell web site. Now I found all the fans. Looks like the H80i is still the major source of noise when CPU is stressed. I'm thinking about Noctua fans. They are not as powerful as the stock fans on H80i but much quieter even at full speed.

No Events found!