Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2012 12:00

Repetitive System Freezes

I have an Alienware Aurora ALX, i7, 6G RAM, 460 GTX, A09 BIOS (originally), A11 BIOS presently.  The original problem was that my system would hang 90% of the time coming out of Sleep Mode, forcing me to hard power down the system.  In attempting to remedy this problem, amongst updating drivers etc., I came across the BIOS update on the Dell support site.  The BIOS flash apparently failed, as the system would no longer post.  See http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19361225.aspx for a fairly apt description of the issue.  Although very reluctant, Tech Support did do what Chris M. suggested, and sent me a new MB, which brings us to the present issues.

As stated previously the new MB came with A11 BIOS.  The system now posts, however it is constantly hanging.  It hangs pre-post, it hangs mid-post, it hangs post-post.  It hangs while editing BIOS settings, it hangs before booting to windows, it hangs after booting to windows, it hangs while booting windows, it hangs while doing system diagnostics; there is no pattern. However, I left the system turned off overnight, I was able to boot it in the morning run in windows for about 45 minutes, downloaded a couple drivers, did a windows update, but after it was restarted it froze while booting into windows.  After a forced power down, it hung prior to getting to windows, and then in random locations as outlined above.

I was able to do several of the diagnostic tests yesterday, although a few of them were interrupted by a system hang.  But it made it all the way through the "Symptoms Tests" of system freezing.  The only one I was not able to complete was the video tests, the first screen showing the three triangles was as far as it would get.

I am out of warranty and completely flabbergasted.  I had previously owned an XPS 410, and never had anything outside the "normal" issues.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am completely disenchanted with the entire situation.

February 10th, 2012 16:00

Correct link:  en.community.dell.com/.../20022300.aspx

P.S.  The new MB was installed by a professional.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 11th, 2012 00:00

Could be almost anything (including a bad motherboard). Don't assume refurbished stuff works correctly.

I suggest you contact Dell and request a working motherboard and/or a working system this time.

I suggest that before the next tech leaves you both access the BIOS and also install Windows real quick (backup data first, Image Backup system ... or just install to another partition or disk.

February 11th, 2012 13:00

And crash.

February 11th, 2012 13:00

I have now done two system restores with Alien Respawn.  One with backup, one complete factory reformat.  Both with the same results; fixed nothing.

February 11th, 2012 14:00

And then a moderator removes a post.  Yet more evidence of Dell being obstructionists, rather than actually concerned about their customers.  Let me re-post that terrible message again, with change in vernacular.

February 11th, 2012 15:00

If only it were that easy.  Yes Dell, I have a system which is a mere 1 year and 5 months old, and it is no longer functioning.  Please supply me with a product that is up to the standards which I would expect.  All I hear from Dell is warranty talk around nonsense.  I am going to respond to this incrementally, because my system is not stable enough to attempt to give a full reply.

Now that I have replaced that terrible acronym, which part of this is exactly goes against the Dell community agreement?  The part well dell has to think about any culpability in the satisfaction of their customers?

2.4K Posts

February 11th, 2012 16:00

Just have Dell send you another mobo.

1.2K Posts

February 11th, 2012 17:00

well sounds like you used vulgar language so a script( BOT ) NOT A PERSON removed the post cause it violates the TERMS OF USE!  anyway   i remeber being in your position with my M17X .... but honestly  unless DELL_Chris pops in on this thread 

call dell  tell em its a pain ..  push for replacement  if its warrantied  if not ... god help you :(

purchase dell.... i got no issue .. i have purchased actually 2 others since my dellienware and they been awsome  but never another alienware

not to go with the rampage ..  have you check bios to verify settings are correct ... ram voltage  is set since im having the same issue with my system and it was fixed by upping some voltage on the ram   also have you run  a full scan on the ram * takes ALONG TIME in dos ( NOT DELLS useless thing)  also maybe somehting inst seatted correctly and causing issue?  it is possibly the new board  is issue .. its also possibly boardmight not have been original issue maybe try removing the ram and running just one stick i know its gonna be slow but might help diagnose  ram and or maybe a ram slot ...  we can go all down the list but first things first

its also possibly by pure coincidence that somehting else failed during removal/reinstall  .. i know i had this happen with a tech on my M17X R2 .... came replaced a failing video card.... laptop never posted again  DEAD to the world yet ran fine before just had the second  video with failing ram( so was unusable in Xfire )  

February 11th, 2012 21:00

The problem appears to be with the Video Card.  Did a swap and had no hangs cycling restarts several times.  I am unsure if it was a terrible coincidence that it went bad during this process, or if something happened to it in the BIOS flash.  Either way I have a new video card enroute.  I will update the post when it arrives, with hopefully good news.

P.S.  The "vulgar language" used was the acronym "B.S.", in place of "nonsense."  And somebody had to program a bot to scan for that, which is also "bee ess."

4 Posts

February 12th, 2012 01:00

I'm also experiencing constant crashes on my x51. Sometimes I don't even have anything running on the computer and it just crashes.

If there's a setting that I can adjust to see if it fixes, could you please tell me how to do it. Thanks.

4 Posts

February 12th, 2012 14:00

Fixed it by updating the video card.

22 Posts

February 13th, 2012 02:00

I have this problem on my M14x and I have tried reinstall, new drivers, BIOS, everything! Motherboard has been replaced twice and I have only had the system 3 months! Now, I really like it when it works, but just need help because the technical support is not helping me!

February 14th, 2012 15:00

Just got the new GPU installed.  So far so good.  Several restarts/updates.  Still uncertain when/why/how the video card became corrupted, but that appears to be what was causing all the system hanging.

@keith b79

Since you are still in warranty, ATTEMPT to have Dell send you a new GPU.  God knows they are not all too interested in providing decent customer service, but hopefully you get lucky and get somebody who actually gives a damn.

As for me, I thank you all for you replies and suggestions, that was over two weeks of serious aggravation, and I am glad it is over with.  The experience has however soured me toward Dell, and I will be looking elsewhere first the next time I am looking for anything they sell.  

Good luck to you all, and I hope you never be subjected to the same situation.

February 14th, 2012 15:00

Oh, one final note.  It is not Dell's policy to send anything for exchange outside of the Warranty, the only reason they did it for me was because I supplied them with that link to Chris M stating that they should do that.  They were sure to let me know that this was not the case, and that they would not do it again.  See above for link to that post.

No Events found!