Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

September 26th, 2010 16:00

Returning from sleep, thermal controller crashes

Every time my computer goes into sleep mode, when I wake it up and log in, I see the thermal controller has crashed.

When this happens, I cannot correct the problem. I must either shutdown or restart the system.  Every time.

Alienware area 51 desktop

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

All drivers from Dell are up-to-date.

27 Posts

September 27th, 2010 03:00

Disable sleep mode and shut it dwn after use. Problem solved.

15 Posts

September 27th, 2010 05:00

That's not fixing the problem, that's avoidance behavior.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 27th, 2010 06:00

* Is this an out of box issue?

* If not, how long did the PC run before the issue started?

* List all the software you added prior to the issue.

* List all devices plugged into the PC.

* List all devices plugged into the monitor.

* List the version numbers of the following -
Bios
Command Center

15 Posts

September 27th, 2010 07:00

* Is this an out of box issue? Don't know - busy installing and working - no sleeping for a week

* If not, how long did the PC run before the issue started? About 1 week

* List all the software you added prior to the issue.

Microsoft office 2007, word perfect X4,, your uninstaller, photoshop, acrobat reader, firefox, glary utilities, Emsisoft anti-malware, hitman pro, latest Dell drivers

* List all devices plugged into the PC. HP Laserjet 5 (uaually turned off) WD USB external drive, alienware kb & mouse, router

* List all devices plugged into the monitor. none - 2 monitors

* List the version numbers of the following -
Bios A08
Command Center 2.5.52.0

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 27th, 2010 07:00

* Power the PC off
* Disconnect the HP Laser-jet 5, WD USB external drive, and the router from the PC
* Power the PC on
* Let it go into sleep mode, then wake up. Do you get the thermal controller crash?

15 Posts

September 27th, 2010 13:00

Crash, bang, boom!

Yes it does.  The weirdest thing is that I can kill the other programs running in the foreground and background if I don't Touch the crash window.  Once I touch the crash window, the only thing I can do is ctl+alt+del and restart.  I can't start any task, including the task manager even if I don't touch the crash window.

Tasks start, but do not initialize.  Everything seems to be hung.  I've given the system time to resolve things on it's own a few times, but that didn't help.

15 Posts

September 29th, 2010 21:00

The system was delivered to me with a lot of 3rd party software on it.

No, I don't know if this happened before I added any specific software.

I've re-installed the Thermal Controller, the Alien controller, etc.,etc.

What could possibly cause the thermal controller to crash, and if I click the OK button on the crash screen, the system locks up?

This only happens when the computer goes to sleep.  Could this be thermal related?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 29th, 2010 21:00

We cannot replicate this issue. Of course, we are using a clean operating system build. Before you installed all of that 3rd party software, did you have the issue?

2.4K Posts

September 30th, 2010 03:00

The system was delivered to me with a lot of 3rd party software on it.

No, I don't know if this happened before I added any specific software.

I've re-installed the Thermal Controller, the Alien controller, etc.,etc.

What could possibly cause the thermal controller to crash, and if I click the OK button on the crash screen, the system locks up?

This only happens when the computer goes to sleep.  Could this be thermal related?

Mine does this too but its a 50/50 chance not 100% of the time. It will not respond and require a hard restart. It used to work fine but in the last month or so it started doing it. I just disabled sleep mode and made sure my monitor was set to shut off. A fresh OS install didn't make it go away.

All you can really do is try reinstalling ACC a few times and call Dell.They will replace the MIO board if they think thats it. I called them yesterday about mine and they didnt even bother to check it once they saw the failed usb warning and just sent me a new one. All the ones I have had seemed to degrade over time to the point they stopped working. They will start getting a USB has failed warning or all the lights will stop working and the fans will go to 100%.  At that point the boards are no more:(

But this doesnt mean its the same issue as yours. Maybe your system is crashing coming out of sleep and you are just seeing the thermal warning because of the system crash. Heck maybe it isnt my MIO board doing it ether but I figure its a good place to start.

I also had this issue back when I first got my 980X CPU. The BIOS at the time didnt support it. When the new BIOS came out the crash from sleep went away.

I will find out for sure tomorrow when I install the new board. I will let you know if it solves the sleep issue for me.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 1st, 2010 08:00

His advice is sound. Get the MIO board replaced. You have to start somewhere.

15 Posts

October 1st, 2010 08:00

Okay, Chris.  Please respond to Morblore's comments on this isssue.

15 Posts

October 1st, 2010 10:00

I get the 2 beeps for my keyboard and mouse (2 each) .  Nothing for my USB drive.

I'm going to call support and try to get a board out of them.

2.4K Posts

October 1st, 2010 10:00

My new board came but they sent me a bad board. It was not working at all. I had 100% fan speed and no lights. I had to put my old board back in. They send them straight to me instead of a tech so I should have another one monday or tuesday.

When I put my old board back in I didnt get the failed USB warning. But now I get two back to back sounds for when a device connects to a USB. I guess its going off and then on or on and then off but hey,  no pop up warning and device manager is not showing the failed USB. As for sleep its still not working.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 1st, 2010 12:00

Does it do it with only the Dell supplied keyboard and mouse connected?

Does you Device Manager accurately reflect your currently attached hardware?

See this thread for troubleshooting procedures. Only people with this exact problem should attempt to install this HotFix.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/9587c59b-4ece-4a43-94b7-6cca0f23be15

So, for anyone with Windows 7 who is experiencing a crash on resumefrom sleep and your primary disk is 1TB or more, this hotfix might help ...

15 Posts

October 1st, 2010 12:00

Thanks, Nikola.

I had seen this, but I'm not getting stop errors. And my promary disk is a 500GB raid 0. 

Everything comes back up, the thermal controller crashes.

I can kill things if I haven't touched the thermal crash screen.  I can't start anything.

Once I touch the crash window, everything is frozen.  I can ctl-alt-del and restart or shutdown, that's it.

No Events found!