Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2015 00:00

Something is wrong with the video card Alienware X51 R2

First I want to say that I speak Spanish and my English is very very basic so occupy a translator.

I also want to say that Dell does not want me to chat support eventhough it was one year warranty and my computer buy it in June / 2014 and I started to use in August / 2014 and am now in mexico so serious very difficult for me remplazen piece from USA and I do not think that validate the warranty in another country.

This bad experience has given me to know the true face of DELL and I'll never buy a product in the store.

Well my problem started three weeks ago when I began to black screenshots on the monitor of a second and appeared as if you had disconnected the HDMI cable and then returned to normal and gradually worsened two weeks ago was beginning to appear blue or black lines anywhere in the monitor or losing image quality but after giving a black screen was solved until now happened again this week happened that the screen went to black and white lines across the screen as when a TV is not receiving signal from the antenna, to see the temperature of the video card before all this happened it was normal 42º if it was on the desktop but after they happened all these things temperature while I'm in the desktop rose to 50 and already was doing many tests as changing the monitor, connect the HDMI cable with DVI, install a driver for the monitor and check if it had dust and has normal and everything is perfectly connected. I would love to help me solve it because it is becoming more recurrent in fact occurred while writing this five black screenshots.

Here is all my computer.
Alienware X51 R2 with 6 months of new use with windows 8.1 pro, bios 7 and the latest drivers for the video card
i7 4790
GTX 760ti
16gb RAM
blu-ray reader
2tb HDD

The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 933HD Plus
The truth I discard it the monitor change as drastic temperature of the video card

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2015 10:00

So it looks like you put a different graphics card in the computer then what came with it?  I can't find any mention of the X51 R2 ever coming with a 900 series Nvidia card.  You will have to put back in the original card that came with your computer in order to have any support done. Also if you are now in Mexico but purchased the computer in the USA, I am not sure but I do not believe Alienwares come with international support.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2015 16:00

Ok That is what I had hoped.  From what I gathered when I re-read your post it looks like the graphics card went from an average of 46 degrees to around 50 degrees.  That in itself is not bad and well within normal.  As for why it is causing distortion on the monitor, it is possible the card itself has gone faulty.  If that is the case the only way to fix it is under warranty.  Like I said before, I am not sure that Alienware or Dell in general has an international warranty on their desktops.  That being the case because you purchased the computer in the USA, the warranty is locked to the USA.  I will admit I am not 100 percent sure on that policy so hopefully someone else with better knowledge can confirm or deny this.  

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 16:00

I apologize I wrote it wrong, even 960ti 760ti there is one that comes with the system, to clarify I have not made any modification to the physical computer

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 23rd, 2015 19:00

It's easy to blame computer, but it could be lots of things.

Get yourself a good UPS like APC or CyberPower. A 1000w one is about $125 USD.

Be sure you have the larger 330w AC Adapter.

Test Samsung 933HD-Plus and cable on another computer.

Test other monitor and cable on this X51.

Usually, a DVI cable is better for a desktop setup.

There should be another video port on back-panel of computer (that's not on video card itself). This goes to the on-board Intel video adapter. If it works here, not only goes it test Samsung LCD and cable as good, it is a good indication of the true failure in the system.

No Events found!