Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2015 09:00

Various Issues on 15 R2, Just looking for some help.

Service tag: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Hi all,

I'm beyond frustrated on trying to get some features of my 15 R2 working. I believe they may be related to the Windows 10 update but I'm not positive. I've spent hours searching for solutions and testing various things but so far nothing has resolved these problems. I'd like for an Alienware representative to point me in the right direction to have these issues addresses.

1) Trackpad does not properly execute Windows 10 gestures. For example, 3 fingers down gives me the settings page. I fail to understand how that makes any sense.

2) The predicted battery life is completely wrong showing me over 100 hours remaining on full charge and a constant 1 - 3 minutes remaining to charge when charging no matter what percentage the battery is showing. I have installed the latest BIOS update.

3) My Windows toolbar occasionally resizes which is admittedly a trivial issue but perhaps important to the big picture.

The only thing I'm yet to try is installing Windows 10 from scratch and manually installing all of the Alienware drivers and software and starting fresh. This however would be a big undertaking prone to some errors so I'm hoping it can be resolved by another means.

Despite my frustrations I am still willing to appreciate any support as a good experience. I understand issues inevitably arise and paired with such an expensive device those frustrations are easily amplified, however, I have heard good things about Alienware support and I'm confident the issues here will be made right.

Thank you kindly.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 3rd, 2015 09:00

Hi, 

1) Windows 10 comes with touchpad gestures that do certain actions, I found this article which explains how to configure them. You can also disable them. 

2) Try doing a power drain (turn off system, disconnect AC adapter, disconnect battery, remove all external devices, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, connect everything again and turn on the system). You can refer to the owner’s manual for disconnecting the battery. 

3) I’m not sure if this could be related to the other issues. Just to confirm, it rises like if you were to drag the toolbar up the screen?

2 Posts

November 4th, 2015 09:00

Hi Alienware-Rodrigo!

Thanks for the advice on the battery, I'm yet to have the time to do this but I feel food about that solution. While annoying the battery time does not affect functionality the way the touchpad does.

That settings page which I have used before does not state I have a precision touchpad? Is that not the case with this laptop? Alienware 15 R2. The touchpad is capable of multi finger gestures and even the first 2 days after the Windows 10 update they worked as they should. Perhaps a malfunctioning touchpad?

If you are unsure of a solution to this problem I would appreciate directions on how to formally contact Alienware regarding it. Other people online have indicated their Windows 10 gestures work just fine. Thank you and I appreciate all the help. What information I have found online is hinting towards some kind of drivers issue but at this point I genuinely no longer know how to attempt fixing this on my own.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 6th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

Regarding the touchpad issue, it sounds more like a software problem. We cant be sure of which program or driver could be causing the issue so you could try doing a Clean Boot or maybe a System Restore since it was working before. You could also try posting this on the Microsoft support forums for further assistance. 

No Events found!