Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2014 09:00

X51-R2, Added SSD, not working?

Hey, I am trying to set up this SSD to my Alienware x51 R2, I have tried everything, I checked to see if the ssd was working by putting it in my laptop and sure enough it worked fine, I put it into my alienware and I get a error and it doesn't detect the SSD when I put it in the hard drive slot, so I done some research and bought the cables that you need to setup a SSD & HDD and able to use both, when I done the setup it didn't detect anything leaving me in the most amount of stress, so I have come here to see what response & answers I get, heres a few pictures thank you!

5 Posts

February 9th, 2014 08:00

Here is a great link to help with this issue...  http://dell.to/LLPpVT

5 Posts

Hello James... while I'm not sure what is causing your problem, I can tell you I installed a SSD in my X51 R2 a couple of weeks ago and it is working fine.  I suggest you start back at the beginning.  Remove your existing hard drive after you have cloned or transferred the OS to your new SSD.  Then all you should have to do is unplug the old drive and plug in the SSD.  It should boot up OK but it takes a little longer the first time.  After the initial boot, the subsequent boots are very fast.  I used a Apricorn device called DriveWire to clone my SSD.  You can get it at Amazon: http://amzn.to/1d8Jup4  

It looks to me like you are trying to add the SSD and keep the existing HDD which is a little more complicated to install and work properly but there are some good tips and how to advice on doing that if you wish.

I suggest this just to get your x51 operational again and then you can work on a 2-drive setup if you wish.

Good luck!

Harmon

6 Posts

I have already tried add just the ssd in replace of the hdd and when I boot up the computer it just shows a internal driver not found, I saw it said in the BIOS it was there in slot 2 I think, so when I used the windows 8 disc I got with the alienware it couldn't detect the SSD at all, I am having so many troubles with such a easy thing I thought, I have also tried the link you gave me and followed that tutorial.

February 11th, 2014 08:00

So the BIOS sees it but not the Windows disc?

You could try this then.

6 Posts

February 11th, 2014 10:00

I have tried but I don't even get to them options it has a error before I go to that stage

February 11th, 2014 11:00

An error from the Windows Disc? What does it say?

6 Posts

February 11th, 2014 12:00

I think it said can't find drivers use a usb or a disc, I tried put in the disc that alienware give me and whilst the installation disc is in the disc tray wouldn't open so I didn't know what to do tbh, and I don't really wanna put the SSD back in now because it takes ages loading the windows disc

No Events found!