Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2015 10:00

X51-R2 Power Supply Question

I have been running my X51-R2 with GTX-970 for just over a year with zero problems - even playing graphically intense games at highest settings. Suddenly the power supply seems to be going into current limit/over temp .... shutting down completely. I cycle the AC power and it recovers - the PC immediately restarts - not necessary to depress on/off switch.

Any suggestions or thoughts?????

Thanks in advance!

327 Posts

August 17th, 2015 09:00

you have to buy the 330W adapter, and dont make Overlock to your grapich card. if you can put your gpu specs to default, do it. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 5th, 2015 14:00

We do not support the Nvidia GTX 970 video card with the Alienware X51 R2 system. It can lead to power related problems or system crashes which may be the reason why it’s having these problems all of the sudden.

As per Nvidia, the minimum system power requirement for the GTX 970 card is 500W. Click here to view the card specifications on the Nvidia site. So, if you are still using the original power supply adapter, it may not be getting enough power when needed causing it to shut down completely. 

327 Posts

May 7th, 2015 21:00

if you want to keep the gpu you have to downclock(underlock) the GPU 

you can use this software to do it: http://www.evga.com/precision/

12 Posts

July 8th, 2015 14:00

I'm using an external 850W Thermaltake PS to power the GPU !!!  It worked perfectly for over a year. Any other thoughts??

727 Posts

Which GTX 970 do you have? Is it factory overclocked?

You can monitor the temps of your computer components with something like HWMonitor. You could use GPU-Z to monitor just the GPU.

12 Posts

I'm using an external 850W Thermaltake to power the GPU. It seems like an over-heating issue - are there screens or filters that may need cleaning - I have tried canned air?????

12 Posts

July 8th, 2015 17:00

No - it's the stock EVGA 970. Will HWMon - record temps?? All of a sudden everything just shuts off .... I can cycle AC power on my surge protector and the PC starts without pressing the on/off switch ... so if there is a video or game running it's difficult to watch the temps ????

727 Posts

July 8th, 2015 18:00

I'm not sure why you needed an external PSU since the GTX 970 works fine in the X51 R2 with 330w PSU. A few people have done it without modding, so there could be something else wrong with how the system is reacting. Or it could be that your GTX 970 is a fading away.

In any case, HWMonitor can log/records temps, I think. However, I would just run the game at windowed mode and monitor the temps that way. You may have to lower the resolution on the game, though.

12 Posts

July 8th, 2015 19:00

I went with the ext ps when this first started thinking the 330w was current limiting or thermal cut-off. Since it's still happening ......  I don't have any thermocouples - so I need a way to isolate the problem. I'm pretty sure it is thermal however.

Thanks for the help !!

49 Posts

July 8th, 2015 20:00

You can try to create a fan profile thru MSI Afterburner. I have been running PNY GTX 970 reference card since Feb. of this year and it does not give me any issues when it come to temp. You dont need to underclock your GPU if you are running a reference card. I can play Withcer 3 on ultra/ high setting with no problem of shutting down with temps from 70 to 72 on a 1440p monitor..

July 9th, 2015 07:00

It might be a grounding issue.  Take some wire and loosen one of the screws on the case of the power supply, wrap it around the screw and then snug the screw back in.  Do the same to the other power supply with the other end of the wire so that the cases of both power supplies are grounded together through that wire.  Floating Circuit grounds can play havoc with sensitive electronics.  You should always ground seperate power supplies together.

12 Posts

July 9th, 2015 09:00

I appreciate that and while possible - the problem started before I added the external supply. I was running the 330W supply with the GTX970 baseline for about a year - then suddenly the pc would go off - literally. I cycled the AC and everything came back on - pc rebooted with the usual Windows shut down ... yada-yada and all was well. I suspected a power supply over-current/over voltage issue - that is when I went to the external supply. Alienware support simply stated that the 970 was not supported and that was it from them. I then thought a thermal issue - I am running it with the cover removed in a space where ambient is 73 degrees. It takes longer now but still happens occasionally. 

4 Posts

August 17th, 2015 08:00

Sorry to jump in but I just got the gtx 970 ftw w/ the dual fan. I was planning just to upgrade my ac adapter from 240w to 330w. Should that be enough? I heard there might be some issues with the dual fan as not properly circulating and pushing heat out of the case.

Anything else am I missing? I have the X51 R2 as well.

Appreciate any comments.

No Events found!