Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2013 16:00

X51-R2 no wireless connection

I recently bought my new Alienware X51-R2 and it won't connect to my router? Please help? I also have a acer laptop in the same room but that can connect just fine.

January 3rd, 2014 09:00

same problem here. It does not see any networks but reports the wireless adapter is working properly. I am using a net gear router. Did you figure out how to resolve this?

• 

2.7K Posts

January 3rd, 2014 14:00

Hello!

This article has different scenarios of internet issue check it out it might help.

As well if you need more information or tip’s to improve the internet connection you can take a look to the general troubleshooting guide for the X51

January 4th, 2014 07:00

Thank you for the reply.

These wireless cards, (the dw1550 broadcom and bluetooth combo) appear to be defective and not compatible at all with with windows 7 and the alienware x51 r2.

I found several posts on the internet warning people to stay away from these. Device manager reports it is fine on PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0 and it is working properly but it does not see our home network (netgear router wireless-n) at all. Every other device in the house sees it fine.

When I called Dell, since the computer ships with umbutu or windows, I was told I would have to PAY for support of this card since this computer
shipped with umbutu. There are no Dell wireless card testing tools i could find either.

Apparently, unless you buy windows 7 from Dell, they  just don't support it.

Could it be Dell and alienware modify and ship a special version of windows 7 unavailable to consumers via retail?

I could find no clear directions for configuring this wireless card for windows 7 or installing GA windows 7 on the x51 r2.

Please could anyone help us out?

January 23rd, 2014 08:00

I wish I could help, but I can offer you a related issue -which could suggest that the 1550 does not like to talk to the netgear.  I have a M6800 with a DW1550.  It disconnects from my Netgear too.  I have BIOS update, and wireless update in place.  I did firmware update on the netgear.  I have changed the channel fro auto, to 6, to 11.  I have adjusted the RTS threshold.  No luck.  I have a case open netgear, and Dell.  Interesting that the upper tier of this line uses the intel wifi chip instead of the Broadcom.  I know other devices work on the netgear.  And yes, the 1550 seems to be working fine on other Wireless APs.  This is the proverbial technical stalemate in which I cannot prove either the router is defective, or the wifi card.  In other words, whose responsibility is it to initiate the fix?  But, from a customer standpoint, I can rationalize that this is a $25 part -costing the customer over 7-8 hours of time troubleshooting on a new rig that cost ~$2,300.  Good luck!

January 28th, 2014 07:00

For anyone interested I would like to just post this as a follow up:  I bought an Intel 7260 and replaced the 1550 for about $25.  Grabbed the drivers from Intel, and it works flawlessly.  For anyone who is packing a 1550 -and having issues, it may be faster to just replace the card and call it a day.  No sure if the 7260 works with the Alienware stuff, but it will work with Precision as it is an option that Dell offers.

1 Message

July 27th, 2015 14:00

Was this a perfect replacement? Meaning the antenna cables and alignment etc

No Events found!