Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 7th, 2012 13:00

X51 and Windows 8 upgrade?

Hi all,

What would be the best way to update my Alienware X51 i7 GTX660 to Windows 8?  Is it recommended to do this and what is the best way? (fresh install, etc)  Has anyone had any issues with Windows 8 on their Alienware machine?

Also, side note, if a fresh install is recommended/needed, what's the best way to transfer over all my Steam/Origin saved game states?  Re-downloading is not a problem as I have a fiber connection, but just don't want to lose my save states!

Thanks in advanced!

November 7th, 2012 23:00

BTW .. I have a GTX 555 - I'm assuming there should be no difference with the GTX 660.

November 7th, 2012 23:00

I upgraded my X51 to Windows 8 over the weekend without any problems.

I choose not to retain my apps/data from Win 7 so was a clean upgrade. Re-installed the Win 8.0 drivers from the Dell web-site (the old Win 7 drivers will also work as Win 8 & Win 7 drivers are the same).

Re-installed my games - everything works fine.  For backing up Steam games, just copy the the steamapps folder from Steam folder to an external drive and copy it back after re-installing Steam - this will restore the Steam games back. I also backed up the "My documents" directory since this holds the Saves for some games. You should find out where the Saves for all your games are stored and back them up as well.

For BF3 I did a fresh install since don't know if backing up games on Origin works.

133 Posts

November 8th, 2012 18:00

As above when you upgrade to win8 make sure you do the clean upgrade option which unsinstalles your programs. You will have to reinstall them once win8 is ready.

If you keep our programs installed you have allot of problems launching certain programs and games, i know because i upgraded to win8 :)

131 Posts

November 9th, 2012 02:00

As above when you upgrade to win8 make sure you do the clean upgrade option which unsinstalles your programs. You will have to reinstall them once win8 is ready.

If you keep our programs installed you have allot of problems launching certain programs and games, i know because i upgraded to win8 :)

I had no issues upgrading my 4yr old M17x to Win8 from Win7 keeping all my apps and games. No issues, all came back working, in fact some problems went away. I definitely wouldn't recommend upgrading from anything earlier than Win7 SP1.

I haven't gotten around to doing the same for my X51 yet, but I may do so this weekend if I have time. This should be even better being as it's a newer system with far less old "baggage".

Just make sure to do a full backup beforehand and in any case, try the upgrade first and if it has problems then do the clean install.

November 9th, 2012 07:00

It is one of the supported platforms for Windows 8. You should have zero problems. Also the Clean Install is the recommended way to do it.

19 Posts

November 9th, 2012 15:00

Do not upgrade the Bios to anything after A06 as Everything is BROKEN on Windows 8. We are still awaiting a BIOS from Dell, and more than an its been Escalated from Chris M. What a Joke, I am about to dispute the purchase and that may get Dell's attention finally. Sleep, Hibernate, using a the back USB ports are not functional on boot up.

131 Posts

November 12th, 2012 03:00

using a the back USB ports are not functional on boot up

Can't say for sleep/hibernate as I'm still on Win7, but I do have BIOS A07 and my keyboard (Logitech G19) works perfectly well before boot.

What I do get annoyed about with Dell is why BIOS updates see fit to reset my graphics card setting or anything else for that matter. Having to switch to my nVidia card every time is very annoying when my default is the onboard Intel HDMI - fortunately my replacement 670 card has a full HDMI socket, as before I had to keep digging out my VGA/DVI cable. None of my other PCs, a Dell E6330 laptop included lose their settings between updates - what is this, the 1990s? I also thought UEFI was meant to give more flexibility as well intead we have a BIOS that still looks like it came out of an original IBM PC - Dell techs should by a few Asus/MSI/Gigbyte mainboards to see how it's done.

353 Posts

January 16th, 2013 18:00

i have bios A11 and all works ok my video card is going out though so they say there sending me a new one and the guy said this video card is before win 8 it may not work right i was like huh it said the x51 on there page was supported, and there are drivers for the x51 and gtx 555 video card. i was like this dude dose not no what he is talking about  anyone have a issue with the x51 and  gtx 555 with win 8?

January 17th, 2013 08:00

Hello cruser12r,

The X51 with the nvidia GTX555 configuration is compatible with windows 8, most likely we sent you the replacement for the video card because it was already faulty.

353 Posts

January 17th, 2013 08:00

yeah they sending it out with a tech but they told me since i upgraded to win 8 they tech can install it but not install the drivers. I'm like what he said oh thats because you upgraded the operating system.

353 Posts

January 17th, 2013 11:00

HI there no my drivers are ok now but just my video card is going out.

January 17th, 2013 11:00

cruser12

I apologize for this inconvenience, here is a link to perform the correct video driver installation.

10 Posts

March 31st, 2013 04:00

Hi what bios are you running as i just installed win 8 and having crashes  

353 Posts

March 31st, 2013 08:00

bios version updated to latest A12 Bios. go to your Alien Autopsy and click on drivers it will open a page and then click of the default win 7 that its set for on there to your new operating system win 8 and click on Bios update should say A 12 Bios might want to check and ask support depending on the Bios your at now if you can upgrade directly to it. 

No Events found!