Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2015 15:00

alienware x51 r2 GPU overheating

hello i received an alienware X51 R2 with radeon R9 270 and it seems that the fan for the GPU doesn't work, default setting 25% gives it a whopping speed of 11 RPM and then setting it up to 100% doesn't change a thing. then after a while there was a period where one of the fans made a terrible clunking sound (keep in mind i cannot play a game due to the GPU over heating and pc shutting down) and now i get this fantastic high pitched tone. please anyone get back to me as soon as possible as i would really like to actually play a game.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 5th, 2015 12:00

Hello, 

Make sure you have the latest Bios version installed. Click here for the download link. Sometimes if the video card is not installed properly, the video card power cables can get in the way of the GPU fan, causing a clunking sort of sound.

Try removing the video card and make sure to move the video card power cables to the side so that when you install the card again, they do not get in the way of the GPU fan. Click here to view a video that shows how to remove the video card from this system. Let us know how it goes. 

5 Posts

August 6th, 2015 02:00

scrap that it worked :D turns out it was just the cord. i checked again and it must have kept going under when i put it back. thank you very much :P im up and running ;)

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 6th, 2015 07:00

You're very welcome, I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

No Events found!