Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 15th, 2015 17:00

display driver crashing

My new computer keeps crashing with

(Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.   Display driver Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows 8(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered).

I've tried to download dell system detect it will not load. I've tried to do the dell chat and that wouldn't work either.

along with my driver issues this new computer is supper slow at loading anything on the internet.

I'm so over this Alienware Computer I thought it was supposed  to be the best computer out there I need help please restore my faith in the computer. 

Thx Jamis

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 16th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

To better assist you, please confirm your Alienware model name/revision and the Windows operating system that you are using.

43 Posts

December 16th, 2015 18:00

This crash seems to be an issue with the embedded version of Flash that is used in Microsoft Edge.  If you use the nVidia control panel to set Edge to use the discrete GPU, the crashes go away.  Additionally, if you use Chrome or Firefox the crashes do not occur.  If you want to install the generic drivers from Intel, you must first uninstall the Dell Intel Video drivers, then you can install the generic ones.  I just try to avoid sites with heavy Flash.  A couple of sites actually caused my 17 R3 to BSOD due to this issue.

1 Message

December 20th, 2015 10:00

It's occurring with firefox...

You think these chumps could get there *** together considering the prices they charge! If I was the CEO heads would roll!

4 Posts

December 25th, 2015 07:00

HMT9462      and i run on windows 10

4 Posts

December 25th, 2015 07:00

yeah i use firefox only.

276 Posts

December 25th, 2015 14:00

This crash seems to be an issue with the embedded version of Flash that is used in Microsoft Edge.  If you use the nVidia control panel to set Edge to use the discrete GPU, the crashes go away.  Additionally, if you use Chrome or Firefox the crashes do not occur.  If you want to install the generic drivers from Intel, you must first uninstall the Dell Intel Video drivers, then you can install the generic ones.  I just try to avoid sites with heavy Flash.  A couple of sites actually caused my 17 R3 to BSOD due to this issue.

I think almost everything you wrote is very different from my own experience.

I never use Edge, and experience the same problem with Firefox (which of course, doesn't use the embedded version of Flash - and I don't think this is necessarily Flash related, anyway). The only way to fix it is to turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox (so remind me, why did I buy this computer?)

I have never been able to install the Intel drivers, until Dell recently (and finally!) updated their own package.

The crash message looks like this:

Graphics fail ffox message.png

The Firefox window becomes black, with a bare title bar with functioning window controls - resizing the window makes Firefox display normally and everything works fine until next time.

I do not know if this is a Firefox problem, or mainly appears when using Firefox because I have it running most of the time on my system. Given all the other problems this system has had (mostly resolved, thank goodness) I have little faith that the problem isn't Intel drivers or hardware.

I'm running the most recent version of the Dell package of the Intel drivers, and still getting this error.

Turning off hardware acceleration in Firefox appears to reduce or fix it.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2015 21:00

yes that the error message i get all the time.  this computer is so slow loading a web page  i just about can't use it.  this is the most expensive paper weight ever.

18 Posts

February 4th, 2016 01:00

there are new intel drivers for Alienware R2 models...

276 Posts

February 6th, 2016 02:00

there are new intel drivers for Alienware R2 models...

There are also new drivers for the 17R3, and they don't fix the problem.

Intel call out this issue as fixed in their drivers, but Dell is a long way behind Intel on this issue, it really should be a priority for Dell to sort this out. ASAP.

7 Posts

February 6th, 2016 08:00

Did you try 15.40.14.4352  from the intel.com site?

I had the same crashing problems until I loaded the above driver version.
And I've been crash-free for almost a month.

276 Posts

February 6th, 2016 15:00

Did you try 15.40.14.4352  from the intel.com site?

I had the same crashing problems until I loaded the above driver version.
And I've been crash-free for almost a month.

I thought the driver had only been released for about a week?

Anyway, just how did you install it? Setup refuses to install as the driver is not validated for the Dell system, and Windows thinks the most recent driver is already installed.

7 Posts

February 6th, 2016 16:00

>I thought the driver had only been released for about a week?

Intel lists date as 12/15/2015 for 4352 build

7 Posts

February 6th, 2016 16:00

0) make full backup just in case something goes terribly wrong
1) uninstall nvidia display driver from dell
2) uninstall intel hd graphics driver from dell
3) if problems uninstalling 1) or 2), try DDU uninstall utility (i didn't need it tho)
3) install intel hd graphics driver from intel  (in my case, 4352)
4) install latest nvidia display driver from nvidia
5) confirm in Device Manager -> Display Adapters that new driver versions installed

7 Posts

February 6th, 2016 21:00

Idunno.

In the Nvidia install, did you check the "Clean Install"  checkbox?  (I always check the box).

And what error message do you get?

Anyway, since u said u have a newer Intel driver installed (maybe 4352?), are u still crashing?

276 Posts

February 6th, 2016 21:00

Idunno.

In the Nvidia install, did you check the "Clean Install"  checkbox?  (I always check the box).

And what error message do you get?

Anyway, since u said u have a newer Intel driver installed (maybe 4352?), are u still crashing?

Too soon to tell, but having seen the Intel changelog perhaps reason to be optimistic. Yeah, finally got 4352 installed - done all this before, too :-(

I have re-enabled hardware acceleration in Firefox to see if I get the recurring display driver crashing again. That should show up pretty soon if it is still an issue. The system hangs were happening every few days on average (sometimes, up to 7 days apart), so harder to tell if that is fixed.

IIRC I did check the box; error message is the Nvidia setup can't find the device.

No Events found!