Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2010 15:00

issue

After playing crysis for all of the opening scene (about 5 mins) i backed out to desktop to shut down and noticed (and it was fairly obvious) a 'haze' on all of my screen - a bit like a heat haze. So i shut down the computer, re-booted and it was gone. Went back on crysis today for about 10mins (on a combination of high/med settings), went back to desktop and the haze was back! Again, re-boot and it was gone. I checked my screen, re-installed the latest drivers, and played other games (the haze happened even after playing games like roller coater tycoon - non graphics intensive games) and checked all my temps (usualy hovered at 24c idle and 60-70c after crysis for 15mins) and went on to open the computer and check my connections. From what i can make out, nothing is wrong with software/drivers and connections nor is the card overheating.

Thanks for any help.

December 27th, 2010 16:00

BTW - it is as though you are looking through a 'heat haze' at the screen.

I'm using a HDMI port - tried the 'RGB iN' also but it happens no matter what port i use, or what cable. My main monitor is a 24" Samsung LED but also tried my old monitor as well as a TV but it happens no matter what.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

BTW - it is as though you are looking through a 'heat haze' at the screen.

So, the pixels are moving a bit or vibrating slightly? It affects the whole screen image equally?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Haze ? You mean like a slight distortion ... kind of moving the pixels a bit or blurring the whole screen?

Are you using the monitor's DVI port, or did you have to use one of the VGA (15 pin) converters?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 27th, 2010 17:00

Sorry, I just noticed you have a nVidia card, while I have an AMD-ATI card.

On my setup, it's like the signal gets slightly confused on the second monitor for a while and then it goes away and returns to normal. It's always brought-on after full screen gaming on my main monitor (whos picture is always perfect). It happens rarely (not every time).

The problem I have is a slight pixel moving distortion on my second monitor. Almost like a blurring. I have also noticed that it only happens on older monitors where I am forced to use a DVI to VGA adapter. I have seen in happen on this system with a 5870 AND ALSO on my XPS-410 with XFX 5770.

I have never seen it happen on a true DVI connected monitor (either as monitor 1 or 2). I haven't used the HDMI or DisplayPort ports on either card yet.

I used to have a nVidia 9800gt in the XPS-410. When using a DVI to VGA adapter, I never experienced this problem. I figured it was an ATI problem.

If you over-ride and sync an analog VGA signal improperly, it causes a similar display condition. It's obviously leaving the analog signal in an unstable or non-perfect state for some reason. You have me wondering now, but I think it might only happen on games that make the second monitor go black (or shut off) while other non-conflicting games leave the Windows desktop displayed there.

In the nVidia Control Panel, there use to be an option called "Single Display Performance Mode" (or something like that) ... you might try that.

Also, since you are using HDMI, it might be related to that. HDMI does a negotiation on every connection or re-connect I think.

December 29th, 2010 07:00

There seems to be some slight confusion on my setup. I am only using 1 monitor (the Samsung LED) not two (i use an old monitor to check whether it was my samsung causing the issue).

The problem persists with any cable (HDMI, DVI, VGA ect) with or without a adapter. It must be a problem with the card - checked drivers and software and re-installed a fresh version of windows but still happens. Time to contact Dell/alienware?

406 Posts

December 30th, 2010 03:00

Call Dell and tell them to send u a replacment video card, also tell them you want to install it not their techs.

January 2nd, 2011 11:00

Thanks, will do.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 2nd, 2011 12:00

Also, be sure the proper "named driver" is installed for the Samsung LCD (not a generic driver). I've seen that cause problems when monitors switch modes.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 2nd, 2011 12:00

I went ahead described the very intermittent problem I was having after Full Screen Direct-x10 gaming as an example. Another strange one is the Mafia-2 Demo leaving the Display dim on exit.

You can try swapping hardware, but don't you think if it was hardware, it would fail on all DX-10 games or inside other apps?

There is several layers of software there (Windows, Video-Driver, Direct-X, Game engine). All can have a bug or improper setting.

Check your Game Icon Compatibility Settings. Also, try Heaven Benchmark or 3D-Mark-11.

No Events found!