Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2016 06:00

Alienware Killer Networking Wifi Dropout Issue (With Fix)

Hello all, 

I had recently been going through some issues in regards to my Alienware 13 and its Killer Networking Card. I have been dealing with customer support for the past 2 1/2 months (brand new laptop) and have finally resolved the issue to my problem and wanted to share it for anyone else experiencing the issue. You can see my full thread from the Dell forum here: 

When I connected to the internet with my brand new Alienware 13 through WIFI, the modem would almost immediately shut off. This occurred every time I would connect to my own LAN and also others (tested on both Rogers and Bell networks). Issue would not persist if connected via Ethernet cable. 

I had jumped through the hoops several times with Alienware customer support (BIOS/Driver updates, driver removal, different driver versions installed). After about a month of this, I did some research, confirmed that it was not my ISP that was the issue and asked Alienware to replace the Killer Networking 1535 card that was installed as a default in my PC (default for all 2016 Alienware laptops, I believe) and to have it replaced with an Intel AC-8260 networking card. About a month later to the day, a technician came out to my house and swapped out the driver cards. I then installed the new drivers and the issue has been resolved. I will never buy any products with Killer Networking again. 

I just wanted to post this in case any other people were having the same issue and were waiting on a fix. 

*****It is also worth mentioning that to resolve this issue with customer service, I had been calling twice a week as customer service never once returned a call or called me back when they had said they would. I had gone through every fix with the customer support representatives, had the issue escalated twice and had also contacted Killer Networking directly and worked with them to try and resolve the issue without success. They informed me that they were aware of the issue but had not been able to replicate the problem in house. 

Regards,

Patrick

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 5th, 2016 11:00

Hello, 

Thank you for sharing this with the Alienware Community. 

No Events found!