Nebrime
Bronze

Alienware 15 R4 Overheating

Just opened up my replacement AW 15 R4 because the past three AW 15 R3s reached extremely high temperatures. I open the new one and this is what happens. It got so hot it shut down after not even a minute of gaming.overheat.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Alienware 15 R4 Overheating

Hi @Nebrime,

As the coffeelake processor supports higher clock rate than kabylake or older processors, you may easily notice that the Alienware 15 R4 / 17 R5 generates more heat compared to previous generation platforms. Therefore Dell engineering optimized the system to tolerate higher temperature from design perspective, and the new specification for Alienware 15 R4 / 17 R5 is:

CPU peak temperature will be no greater than 100 degree C

CPU average temperature will be equal or less than 95 degree C

Anything under these figures will be normal for the Alienware 15 R4 / 17 R5.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Nebrime
Bronze

And how long will the system operate at 95C before the motherboard gets cooked completely? That's what's happened to each of the replacement laptops I receive. Sure, they CAN operate at 95C, but it will only continue to function normally for a week until the system as a whole begins to fail.  

ThorDog650
Bronze

Same thing happens with my Alienware 15r3. Dell shipped me a replacement laptop that overheats more than the original one. Average temp of 99 degrees!

0 Kudos
briwilli
Copper

I have to report that my AW 15 R4 is performing great, thermally.  I have the i9 chip, which runs into power limit throttling but that is it.  To reduce the power limit throttling, I undervolted by 130mv, and with that, when running heavily threaded applications I average between 75 - 80 c with fans in the quiet profile!

Maybe I won the silicon lottery with this CPU?

0 Kudos