Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

January 15th, 2018 21:00

17 R4, graphics stuttering/freezing

I've posted in a thread about this issue before, and semi-resolved the issue; however the problem has returned and I cannot fix it this time.

Things that have been done to the laptop:

-Trouble ticket submitted with Dell

-On-site service replaced motherboard (and broke it at the same time)

-Sent laptop back to Dell HQ to be repaired because of on-site tech

-Issue persisted after receiving product, internet/forum hunted for solution...found laying laptop flat, rather than elevated fixed issue (weird, i know)

-Alienware-Eimy contacted me via Private message and troubleshot issue...deleted Kioniz KXCNL Freefall Sensor.  Was able to elevate laptop without freezing.

-Freefall sensor re-installed itself...but laptop was trouble free for about four to five weeks; problem has now returned.

-Again tried to remove freefall sensor, but didn't "resolve" issue like before.  After removing sensor, spare hard drive now doesn't appear and shows that it has an issue in Device Manager

-Ensured all drivers, and everything, are currently up-to-date

So yeah, I'm back to having my laptop freeze every 15 to 30 seconds while playing games.  Games that it freezes on:  Final Fantasy 14, Destiny 2, Divinity Original Sin 2, and Paragon (these are just the games I have installed now, and play).  While monitoring the GPU stats with TechPowerUp GPU-Z, again, it'll get up to 70 degree Celsius to lock up the computer and lower the temperature.  Games once again are so completely painful to play because of the annoyance.

Recommendations, fixes, anything...?

6 Posts

January 18th, 2018 05:00

Hello, I have the similar problem (motherboard replacement, elevated issue not resolved, HDD problems after removing freefall sensor)  in the same games and without any reasonable solution. The good news are that the amount of 0% GPU gaps is decreased a bit after repasting in official service and there are no more annoying freezes in Divinity Original Sin 2 and Destiny 2, but If I start playing Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands the freezes are back in 30 minutes or so.

So repasting might help, but there is no guarantee that it won’t make things worse.

I`m still believe that Dell support can help us somehow.

January 18th, 2018 10:00

I don't know what Dell support can do, to be honest.  I've had multiple hour plus long phone calls with them, with them remoted into my system, showing them what I see and the problems I have.  A new motherboard didn't correct the issue, the Sensor temporarily fixed it for a couple weeks but it returned.  I'm getting to the frustrated point of that I want to return the laptop.  What's the point in buying a "gaming" laptop, if the laptop can barely play said games?

I really don't think re-pasting the GPU will do anything either.  When my laptop was trouble free, during the various fixes I had, it performed flawlessly.  When it was flat on the table, it got up to 90 Celsius and remained 100% stable in performance at that constant temperature.  When the sensor fix worked, and i was able to get better airflow, it would hover right around the high 70s or low 80s with equally good performance stability.

Plus I didn't mention in this post, but I practically have blue screens of death almost on a daily basis with this laptop too.  This machine seems to be temperamental with them, and i'll get multiple in the same day or one a day.  Sometimes I get super lucky and it won't blue screen me for a couple days.  It's always the same, Bad Pool Caller.  I don't know...  I run the exact same software on my main desktop, which is now on this laptop.  In theory, this laptop is more powerful, all around, than my desktop (minus the power supply, i guess).  I don't get it...

6 Posts

February 19th, 2018 01:00

Well, serious freezes are back :(

While playing theHunter: Call of the Wild™ with Tobii enabled game freezes every 3-5 seconds, but if I turn off Tobii eye tracking (not a right choice) the amount of freezes decreased a bit. I need to know if this heatsink issue has been finally resolved on hardware level so I can bring my laptop back to service center in order to replace it or motherboard. Thanks for any information, concerning this issue.

March 19th, 2018 17:00

Hi,

I faced the same issue recently. I bought my Alienware 17 R4(7700HQ, GTX1070) on Sep 2017. My Max temps for past six months where CPU : 77C and GPU 70C. But recently i started using the laptop for mining!! I know! I was insane to do it on a 2400$ machine! I stopped it now. I see that the temps have increased slightly than before.  And my games(Assasins Creed Origins) started stuttering for some reason. And yes, i cleaned the vents with canned air to see if that improved the temps. But it did not do anything really.

During my diagnosis, i found the stutter was caused by two reasons,

1. When CPU peaked at 100%, i would see the stutter. My Temps where normal(75-83c). So i decided to enable the CPU performance mode in BIOS, just to see if that helps. And yes, it did stop the stutter. I am assuming that enabling the feature allows for overclocking and increases the TDP of the processor. Although the 7700 HQ cannot be overclocked, i think that the increased TDP really helps. 

2. I read that the XBOX one controller is prone to cause lag when connected via bluetooth. So i disconnected it and used a wired connection.

In your case, try monitoring the CPU behavior, like usage, temperature,.. And if your case is similar to mine try enabling the CPU performance mode.

Regards

Sanjay

2 Posts

April 24th, 2018 23:00

I have the same laptop AW 17R4, GTX 1070, bought in September. CPU performance mode doesn't help at all. I put new thermapaste and it didn't help. Tried to downgrade bios, didn't help neither. My gpu and cpu temps are normal, but laptop keep freezing. I even tried different versions of Windows, the same thing. My wife has MSI laptop and she doesn't have any problems. The only one thing I can do now is get rid of Dell laptops and never buy it! 

2 Posts

April 25th, 2018 14:00

Here is an example what I got (check youtube link). And it's not because overheating issue. I have about 65C on my GPU, and 65-70C on my CPU 

It's a new game Frostpunk. Not demanding game at all. I tested it on my wife's laptop (MSI with gtx 1050) and it doesn't have the same issue. It's funny, because it powered by Alienware, and this game is lagging only on Alienware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJFdS1HdS7E

2.jpg

15 Posts

April 26th, 2018 14:00

I was planning to buy the new Alienware 17 that came out this month. But, recurring posts like these have changed my mind. I notice that this is a recurring issue which dell-AW hasn't yet solved, from what I'm seeing. 

1 Message

October 14th, 2018 03:00

I had this issue for many years with my Alienware M17x R3. I was told to downgrade bios, use earlier gfx drivers, clean the GPU fan regularly (which seemed to help for a little while). Ultimately the only permanent solution was to change the 'power settings' from BALANCED to HIGH PERFORMANCE. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Message

March 5th, 2019 10:00

I am having this issue as well i7-7820 and a 1080 however i have to run almost all of my games on the lowest settings, and some games like cs:go, PUBG, and R6 Siege are unplayable because of stutter. I am thinking about doing a repaste but does it void warranty?

1 Message

December 7th, 2020 04:00

I've this exact problem and non of the solutions here worked. I've the last drivers and BIOS (1.10).

No Events found!