Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

1 Message

February 16th, 2020 07:00

15 R3, CPU crazy activity, causes heat spikes and shutdowns

My Alienware 15 R3 is just out of a service shop, there was a fix for a number of wire repairs and a fixed short circuit on the gpu.

Since it got back, I installed new parts I ordered for it.

I do a fresh windows install. Got the latest drivers, software updates, bios update.

Here are my specs:
Processor Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 MHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
x2 Samsung Evo plus (500GB) *NEW
x2 32GB Corsair DDR4 *NEW
Nvidia GTX 1070

First things first, the CPU is in a constant state of panic - it jumps anywhere from 0.6 to 3.8GHz while idle, not performing any tasks. BIOS overclocking is disabled. Performance mode in Windows is also disabled. I am using balanced which allows the  CPU to work anywhere between 5%-100%.

If I start any taxing activity, the CPU goes into max overdrive and causes its temperature to skyrocket at 90+ °C. This includes downloads, any video games etc. If I launch a game, the heat rises and stays at 99°C causing the computer to shut off a few minutes in due to overheating.

The computer itself has been disassembled and re-pasted multiple times now. The fans are at full throttle. This is not an issue with lack of cooling capabilities.

The idle temperatures of the CPU cores range anywhere between 30-40 (with maxed out fans) which is acceptable, but if I launch any taxing activity the temperatures spike and you know the rest. Idle temperature of the GPU is also at 50°C, despite having zero activity, it also reaches the high 98°C.

Another interesting observation is that Core 0 and Core 1 are consistently hotter than Core 2 and Core 3. The latter two cores are cooler by an average of 15-20°C!

I've just about ran out of ideas for what this issue could be caused by. Any suggestions, ideas, comments? If you need more info just ask.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

February 20th, 2022 17:00

I have the same issue. Not to the degree that you are but temps stay high at any video game and i have the 10750H cpu. Gpu temps are fine they rarely spike up to 99 but at idle i have random spikes while performing simple or no tasks at all. The cpu just likes to ramp up the fans and get up to 99 and stay there, thermal throttle for no tasks whatsoever. I’ve got the latest bios update, all other drivers up to date as well. I tried undervolting to -133.8 only to get minimal results in terms of temperature. Anybody that got the same problem got any fixes?

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

February 20th, 2022 20:00

Hi @Tek. Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor Latest Drivers & Software includes which window operating systems are supported.

Please click on Intel Driver & Support Assistant so that it can check drivers & software, and install the best drivers for your system. 

Please install and run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify the functionality of all the cores of Intel Processor, etc. 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 11th, 2022 13:00

Im having the same issue? any fixes?

No Events found!