Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

July 22nd, 2020 08:00

17 R3, Bios Updated Failed

Hi,

I tried to update BIOS to 1.8.0, but during the update when it reached %70 it stucked,  I waited 1 hour but nothing happened, then I shut down my laptop. Now when I try to power on my laptop,  it can not boot, it says

------

Boot Guard verified failed
System will shutdown
Press any key

------

I tried some of solutions:

- press F12(or FN) repeatedly when power on, doesn't work

- CTRL+ESC key with BIOS recovery,  doesn't work

I need my laptop as soon as possible, and I would be greatly appreciated if you could help me about this problem.

And according to Dell Policy, BIOS update breaks motherboard CMOS, am I eligible for a one time only out of warranty motherboard replacement?  I bought my laptop on 2016/05.

Thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 11:00

Try disconnecting the cmos for 15 minutes and remember,

Never turn off a laptop during a bios update because its removing code and adding code to the bios while its writing.

July 24th, 2020 21:00

Doesn't Alienware have Dual-BIOS?

I think mine 17-R4 does have that. But its horrible that it got stuck at 70%. I would cry if 3000$ got bricked like that. I always update my BIOS from support assist. Never manually do it because who knows. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 25th, 2020 12:00

I’m sorry man, it’s the truth.

Alienware doesn’t have a Dual BIOS option but I had a weird encounter with mine.

I turned off the computer completely and then when I plugged my headphones inside of the headphone jack, it booted into its bios screen and said:

BIOS RECOVERY OPTIONS

Go back an Update

Boot into OS

And something else I forgot.

No Events found!