ASUS ROG G550JK-CN268D Win 8.1
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

and

Alienware 17 R4 Win 10
3840x2160 (UHD)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

I have no complaints about ASUS, everything is perfect after the calibration. All browsers, all viewers, all apps are fine.

But on Alienware, there are many non-calibrated apps and browsers.
- For example all videos on YouTube are with non-calibrated colors.
- All videos played with VLC player are with non-calibrated colors. 
Images displayed by Adobe Flash Player are with non-calibrated colors.
- When I use Photoshop everything is OK.
- When I open an image file using Chrome and Firefox everything is OK.
- But with IE everything is wrong - pictures, videos, no matter if it's HTML 5 or Flash viewer.

The X-Rite support can't help me, they have told me only this:
"There are indeed a couple of applications which do not use ICC profiles, but this is unfortunately nothing that we could fix. It is a bigger problem of the software and operating systems lacking support for color management."

and this:
"It looks like it is possibly being caused by the graphics card drivers on the Alienware PC."

How can I fix this?

9 Posts

March 14th, 2019 09:00

I've got an answer from the Dell support that they can't help me with this problem.
Laptop for over 3000 euros that has bad fabric display colors and that can't be even calibrated properly.

THANK YOU DELL!!!

1 Message

July 28th, 2019 10:00

So I have also purchased an Alienware M17 with the UHD display and I am noticing that any pictures of people show up with too much of a red tinge. Do you think that maybe this is what my problem is also? and that it's not something that can be corrected unless they update on their driver settings? If so, that is very disappointing for what we pay for these systems! Pardon my ignorance, but what is ColorMunki Dl, and could it help me?

1 Message

September 25th, 2019 14:00

Hello, if you are still there I think I have an idea.

My friend's Lenovo laptop does the same and I believe that it is due to the dual GPU configuration of the laptops.

I think that we calibrate by using the Intel GPU but when the laptop switches to the NVIDIA one for performance reasons, then Windows uses the default ICC profile instead of the calibrated one since it is using a different device.

Youtube and VLC are hardware accelerated, so it makes sense that Windows might prefer to use the higher powered GPU for video playback (NVDEC with NVIDIA).

My friend is currently away and not very technical so I haven't tried yet but, you could maybe try to apply the ICC profile for the NVIDIA GPU as per here: https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using-icc-profiles-in-windows/ and see if it resolves your problem.

If you try it, please report back.

No Events found!