2 Bronze

17 R4, open issues?

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know what your experience was with your 17 R4's? My issues started in 2016. I bought my unit new from Dell in December. My first unit had to have the motherboard replaced  three times before they replaced it with a refurbished model. I’m now on my 12th service (started 29 March 2020) on my refurbished model. All of my services have been one of the same four issues. Sound, power, cooling, motherboard. I guess the four boil down to the motherboard really.

I want to to know if others are having the same issues. Luckily, my unit still has the premium warranty. I could not imagine if it didn’t. I have had great experiences with customer service, but it becomes frustrating at a point. I have had no physical damage to my units ever and the same issues keep happening. 

None of my older Alienware had these issues and if they did it was a one time thing. Is it possible to pay and upgrade to the newer equivalent? <Dell does not offer that service. DELL-Admin> I have read the newer MX17 don’t have these issues. I still have another year left of premium warranty that I paid $700 for an extra few years in 2018, thank god. Am I stuck with this repeating cycle until I fork out another 3k.

What would you guys/gals do?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
2 Bronze

Re: 17 R4, open issues?

I just got my system back and I'm super appreciative to the customer support and tech guys, but as I stated earlier it's same four issues with these units. They replaced the Logic Board again. 12th service complete.......... 

0 Kudos