Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2020 11:00

17 R4, reseat the memory message?

Hello! Today after restarting the laptop, I have a white screen from SupportAssist saying:

"The amount of system memory has changed. If you did not change your memory... To resolve this issue, try to reseat the memory.".

I have no idea what this means. I have not touched any RAM or memory and do not touch it or anything of the sorts as I'm a newbie at this kind of stuff. I have no clue what reseating the memory even means. Any help would be appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

April 7th, 2021 10:00

@Cnote248 See the accepted solution for you model. After uninstalling SA you do not install it again. The same will happen if you do so. Just wait for the upcoming fix for SA targeting during April as @fireberd says.

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

April 16th, 2021 10:00

@fireberd  Edit: The message was back after a new reboot. So we have to wait for the SA fix on 19. april. 

But the BIOS flash seems to have made the message more rarely. So I do recommend doing the BIOS update also.  

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

April 16th, 2021 10:00

@fireberd There is a new bios update for 17R3, version 1.12.0: https://www.dell.com/support/home/no-no/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=5fcxk&oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-r3 

And there is a new for 17R4, version 1.11.0: https://www.dell.com/support/home/no-no/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=r5dp6&oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-laptop 

17R5, version 1.12.0: https://www.dell.com/support/home/no-no/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=c6d29&oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-r5 

After the update the reseat memory message haven't appeared. Restarted, shutdown, restarted again, cold boot. Is it possible that the BIOS flash fixed the issue on 17R3 systems? Still a bit to early to tell for sure, but it looks promising. Report back after some more days. And soon the SA update is out also.   

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 16th, 2021 15:00

There's no new BIOS for my Inspiron 5577 so waiting for the new SA.  I volunteered to Beta test the SA update before it was released but our Dell interface never heard back on that.

Jack

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

April 16th, 2021 16:00

@fireberd I guess we have to take Dell's word and wait for the SA update and beta test it together. 

2 Posts

the message come back after updating the bios and reinstalling the support. i had to uninstall again. guess we have to wait for the update.

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

@usguyver thanks for that update. Then we once for all can rule out bios being the problem. 

SA is more powerful than we know...

Next week will be Interesting. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 20th, 2021 03:00

No notification from the Dell rep on updated Support Assist that was targeted for the 19th.  I'll install what is available this morning to see if it is the updated version.  The way the download is accessed there is no way to see the version number until its installed.

I'll report back.

Jack

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 20th, 2021 05:00

Sadly, no update.  I downloaded and reinstalled SA and its still the old version 3.8.10.

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

April 20th, 2021 09:00

@fireberd I have also seen no sign of the update to SA yet. to be honest I thought there would be delays. Hope during April.

5 Posts

April 24th, 2021 18:00

any news waiting for the SA update

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

April 25th, 2021 07:00

@heara it has been delayed. @fireberd have given me a update:

"Dell Engineering are aware of this issue. A fix will be added to the SupportAssist (SA) v3.9 application by the end of May 2021."

1 Message

April 26th, 2021 12:00

@ejn63 What do I have to worry about in regards to static discharge? I’m guessing I should wear an anti static wrist band while doing this, but where would I connect it to since it’s a laptop and doesn’t have a metallic case? I was considering buying some ground-only plugs by StaticTek that go in the outlet that you can plug an anti-static band into but then I think I’d need to ground the laptop itself to earth as well for the charges to be even between me and the computer... Idk, maybe I’m overthinking it but I really don’t want to anything up and i want to use one of those wrist bands.

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

May 5th, 2021 15:00

@fireberd I updated SA to V3.9 and I got the memory message after the first reboot. But after two more reboots and two shutdowns the error message hasn't come back. So crossing my fingers that it stays that way. The message during the first restart after the update may have been a stored message from the previous versoin. I will try another shutdown to see. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 6th, 2021 03:00

My 5577 was a clean install of 3.9 since I had completely uninstalled SA with Revo Uninstaller Pro.

I tried it with a Restart and a power on start and no error messages.

Jack

No Events found!