stirb6
1 Copper

17 R5, GPU fan error on boot

I am writing this forum post because for the past month my Alienware 17 R5 has been running Diag's and giving an GPU error code at every boot up. Yes every boot up.

Error Code: 2000-0712

Validation: 105472

Opened a case with support but they were unable to resolve the issue. They then stated the issue was caused by Dell's "SUPPORT ASSIST" software. The issue persists even if the software is removed. They told me a new version is being released second week of September, but that has came and went. They now tell me there is no ETA.

Support agent tells me its a false positive and will not cause harm to my machine. That is not really reassuring to me and with this machine costing $1,700, I believe these issues should not persist for this long. I also am not finding anyone else with similar issue to mine.

Am I the only one with this issue? What actions can I take if issue is not being resolved?

19 Replies

Re: Alienware 17 R5 (2017 model) GPU FAN ERROR @ BOOT

Hi @stirb6,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review the case.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
srgariss
1 Copper

I'm having the same issue. Is there a fix?

0 Kudos
MotorDonkey
2 Bronze

I have the same problem as well. I know for a fact that my fans are working correctly so I am not concerned. Just ignore the warning and continue to boot normally.

0 Kudos
Azrael Winter
1 Copper

Is there any fix for this? Same issue here too

0 Kudos
tiby312
1 Copper

This happens to me on the new 2019 RTX G5 laptop. I'm also confident that the fans are working. The diagnostic software just happens to think the fans don't work on boot up, it seems.

0 Kudos
ozmodious
1 Copper

Re: 17 R5, GPU fan error on boot

Exact same thing happening to us..
0 Kudos
rafaelchefe
1 Copper

I have the same problem. Did anyone find a solution for that?

0 Kudos
stirb6
1 Copper

No fix was found for me guys. I worked with Dell about 3 or 4 times over the course of 3 months and at most I got it to go away for a week. It happens at every restart and boot up now. 

Dell states it's a false positive, which I kinda believe because I feel the fans blowing, but my machine has been overheating lately, so I am going to follow back up on this soon. 

All drivers and software is up to date (last check was yesterday). At first they said it was caused by the Dell Detect tool and an update was being released to fix it. The update came and went; the issue still persists.

If any Dell rep wants to chime in the error I get it listed below.

Service tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Private data removed as per the Terms of Use>

Error code: 2000-5011

Validation: 83833

FAN -The VGA fan failed to respond correctly.

0 Kudos

Hi,

For everyone having this issue, please update the BIOS to the latest and disable overclocking if enabled.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos