Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2018 18:00

17 R5, GPU fan error on boot

I am writing this forum post because for the past month my Alienware 17 R5 has been running Diag's and giving an GPU error code at every boot up. Yes every boot up.

Error Code: 2000-0712

Validation: 105472

Opened a case with support but they were unable to resolve the issue. They then stated the issue was caused by Dell's "SUPPORT ASSIST" software. The issue persists even if the software is removed. They told me a new version is being released second week of September, but that has came and went. They now tell me there is no ETA.

Support agent tells me its a false positive and will not cause harm to my machine. That is not really reassuring to me and with this machine costing $1,700, I believe these issues should not persist for this long. I also am not finding anyone else with similar issue to mine.

Am I the only one with this issue? What actions can I take if issue is not being resolved?

1 Message

December 7th, 2019 13:00

I have been watching this thread for a long time hoping for a solution. Fortunately I stumbled upon a fix for my VGA Fan Error from Support Assist on every cold startup.

Ironically the problem came from setting my Thermal Plan to "Quiet" in Alienware Command Center. A few weeks ago I was working my 17 R5 harder than usual and set the plan to "Performance". The Support Assist tests and error quit happening. I assumed Dell found a solution, then I remembered the change I made.

Out of curiosity I changed the Thermal Plan back to "Quiet". The power up scan and VGA Fan error came back within a few days. Set the plan back to "Performance" and no more errors.

Not sure why this works, but it does for me. Hopefully it will for others. Maybe a Moderator could pass this on to  Dell if it works for more than me. 

May 28th, 2020 10:00

I have had the same error with both CPU and GPU being falsely reported as not working. I had tried many things to resolve this issue on my own and with Dell support. Nothing worked and I was (not) content to wait on a BIOS update which I suspected would resolve the issue.

After another! false positive I decided I would clean the inside of my laptop. I removed the bottom panel and used a paint brush (2inch) to clean everything you could easily get to, including in and around the fans. The only things I removed were the RAM modules, everything else I left in place.

Although my laptop didn't look dusty at all - it does seem to have resolved my problem. As a bonus it also runs cooler and the fans don't spin up at all during normal use. Easy fix in the end.

Hopefully this post can help others who have tried everything and got nowhere

Post back if you try this and it works for you.

Kind regards

Ben

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2018 13:00

Hi @stirb6,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review the case.

1 Message

October 22nd, 2018 14:00

I'm having the same issue. Is there a fix?

61 Posts

October 22nd, 2018 16:00

I have the same problem as well. I know for a fact that my fans are working correctly so I am not concerned. Just ignore the warning and continue to boot normally.

January 12th, 2019 14:00

Is there any fix for this? Same issue here too

1 Message

February 24th, 2019 07:00

This happens to me on the new 2019 RTX G5 laptop. I'm also confident that the fans are working. The diagnostic software just happens to think the fans don't work on boot up, it seems.

1 Message

April 8th, 2019 02:00

Exact same thing happening to us..

April 9th, 2019 00:00

I have the same problem. Did anyone find a solution for that?

2 Posts

April 9th, 2019 07:00

No fix was found for me guys. I worked with Dell about 3 or 4 times over the course of 3 months and at most I got it to go away for a week. It happens at every restart and boot up now. 

Dell states it's a false positive, which I kinda believe because I feel the fans blowing, but my machine has been overheating lately, so I am going to follow back up on this soon. 

All drivers and software is up to date (last check was yesterday). At first they said it was caused by the Dell Detect tool and an update was being released to fix it. The update came and went; the issue still persists.

If any Dell rep wants to chime in the error I get it listed below.

Service tag:

Error code: 2000-5011

Validation: 83833

FAN -The VGA fan failed to respond correctly.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 9th, 2019 09:00

Hi,

For everyone having this issue, please update the BIOS to the latest and disable overclocking if enabled.

April 12th, 2019 17:00

Hi everyone,

Just want to share that I spoke to customer service in New Zealand and they advised me to install/update the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework chipset driver. It has passed three days with no fan errors so far. I'll keep monitoring the PC.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 15th, 2019 15:00

Hi, 

Thank you for sharing this with the community.

1 Message

May 16th, 2019 14:00

Hello, I have a 15 R4 and I have the same fan error, anyone resolved it?

May 16th, 2019 16:00

Still not resolved. Dell support are useless. How can they not have a patch released to fix this yet? 

No Events found!