Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2019 09:00

17 R5, Samsung memory DDR4-2666, not working

I have the new Samsung 32x2=64GB DDR4-2666 and it says on multiple websites like hidevolution and compuram that its compatible and tested. However I bought some at over a $1,000 and it shows in BIOS as 64GB but wont boot into windows. Do I have to enable or disable something in BIOS? I have updated BIOS and everything. Please help.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 21st, 2019 10:00

All,

Dell cannot speak to non-validated testing. Dell never marketed and sold the 17 R5 with 64GB. We are not going to create a BIOS update to address non-Dell memory. Both the sales site and the online 17 R5 specifications PDF state that 32GB (2x16GB) is the maximum.

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

February 20th, 2019 11:00

I'd like to know as well *when* Dell is going to release a BIOS update for the new Samsung 32GiB SO-DIMMs. I've heard differing reports of people's success with upgrading their Alienware 17 R5's RAM to 64GiB using the new SO-DIMMs. I really want to buy and upgrade my 17 R5 with the new Samsung SO-DIMMs, but I don't want to be out $1K+ if they're not compatible. Anyways, perhaps your RAM modules aren't a matched kit and that is causing the problems?

jdb2

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

February 21st, 2019 10:00

And why are you "not going to create a BIOS update to address non-Dell memory"? This seems rather short to the community of customers who payed so much for their laptops and would really like the ability to run with 64GiB of RAM. AFAIK, Dell only re-brands and certifies the memory. Aren't the modules themselves manufactured by a third party? For example, I can get a Crucial.com memory upgrade to 32GB with modules not manufactured by Dell : https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Alienware/alienware-17-r5#MEMORYFilters My previous ASUS laptop supported up to 64GB of RAM, but with no guarantees.I don't know why Dell couldn't do the same. Your statement is not consistent with Dell's claims of "customizable, overclocking" and such.   

In any case, if all it takes to enable basic support for any 64GB RAM 32GB x 2 channel memory config is a small BIOS update, then why would Dell not release the BIOS update? Dell wouldn't have to certify any 32GB SODIMM's or guarantee 64GB compatibility, but just allow the BIOS to deal with 64GB of RAM irrespective of the exact compatibility of the modules with Dell's motherboards.

Getting back to the OP and his question, have you tried running the RAM at a lower frequency, say, 2133MHz? If that doesn't help, then upping the CAS latency from 19 to 20 or higher along with upping the other timings might help as well. Failing that, you could up the DRAM voltage. As a last resort, you could send the RAM back and then buy it again, but in a matched 2x32GB kit.

jdb2

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 21st, 2019 12:00

And why are you "not going to create a BIOS update to address non-Dell memory"?
* Because it is non-Dell OEM memory. We are not going to buy their memory and then try to validate it.

Aren't the modules themselves manufactured by a third party?
* They are manufactured to our restrictive, conservative specifications. Which is they are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) stock. Which is not the same as retail stock.

Your statement is not consistent with Dell's claims of "customizable, overclocking" and such.
* Our definition of customize is in how many different hardware component configurations are attainable by the user and the allowed BIOS settings
- Upgrading from 8GB ram to 32GB ram
- Customized GPU choices; AMD Radeon RX570, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060/107/1080
- Customized LCD choices; FHD/QHD/UHD
- Customized SSD choices; 128GB/256GB/512GB/1TB
- Customized CPU choices; i7-8750H/i9-8950HK
- You can use the BIOS- Performance to customize CPU Performance Mode, Fan Performance Mode, Core Over Clocking Level

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

March 9th, 2019 10:00

I mean, Dell would not even need to require the new BIOS as any kind of official update. Instead, it could be listed as an experimental or beta/alpha release that was only meant for people trying to get 64GiB of RAM running on their laptops, but, again, with no guarantees in that it might bork one's system.

jdb2

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

March 9th, 2019 10:00

I think that Dell should at least extend a common courtesy and update the BIOS so that it *may* work with 64GiB of RAM, but with Dell making no guarantees or claiming official support, just like Dell doesn't make any guarantees on overclocking and other system modifications.

jdb2

37 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 00:00

Hi Chris

I understand that this probably isn't up to you, but I think that it would be good to pass on our desire to have this system updated to meet our needs.

As a Dr and Researcher, I purchased this laptop for work and recreation, because Dell had a good reputation for reliability and support and Alianware (as I was lead to believe) was all about pushing their systems to get the most out of them.

It sounds as though there is a genuine need and desire from your customers to make these changes in a future BIOS update.

The only reason I can see that you are not even considering it is because you want people to either buy another computer (Which when I do is now considerably less likely to be a Dell) or simply cant be bothered to make what would be an easy update.

Either way it is certainly disappointing to hear and not what I though would be the outcome of this discussion.

I hope that things change

Regards

X

37 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 00:00

P.S

I will be updating other communities with this information.

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 08:00

@ScienceX wrote:

P.S

I will be updating other communities with this information.

Please do! :D I've determined that the Samsung SO-DIMMs *ARE* compatible with the Alienware 17 R5, at least the version with the Intel Core i9-8950HK CPU. From what I can tell, there is *NO* reason that the system won't boot with 64GiB of RAM *EXCEPT* for the fact that Dell has instituted some kind of BIOS-based software lockout ( ie. They want you to buy another $4.5K+ laptop for a RAM upgrade ). See my posts detailing my experiences with the Samsung 64GiB of RAM here.

Regards,

jdb2

37 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 16:00

Rxacly.

I don't think any one is asking for guarantees form Dell or expecting them.

They just want them to remove the restrictions so that we can do our own thing.

37 Posts

July 25th, 2019 18:00

Hi every one

Are there any updates on this or are Dell still being dicky about it?

5 Posts

October 20th, 2019 05:00

Still no response from Dell

14 Posts

October 20th, 2019 10:00

Now I know this. I have been in the computer industry for a long time and am very surprised. Anyway it helps me when I have a customer who wants to upgrade to 64GB memory.

14 Posts

December 14th, 2019 09:00

Will Dell ever help us customers who paid an obsene amount of $$ for their 'flagship' alienware who are now stuck ?

I bought this laptop specifically to be future-proof and now i am stuck with 800$ worth or RAM sticks that will not work...

The BIOS -DOES- see all the RAM but somehow nothing will boot which does imply this is a software lock at thye BIOS level.... If the RAM was not 'supported' then the BIOS would not see the RAM either ...

This smells like an artificial intentional Lock and not something that is not 'supported' since the BIOS sees the RAM juist fine! !

Release  BIOS update that removes the lock !

14 Posts

March 2nd, 2020 13:00

It's funny how dell locked the other forum (64GB 17R5) that discusses this topic that had more traffic.

They are ignoring the customers that went and made the mistake of dishing out boatloads of $$ for a supposed "top pf the line" laptop only to discover a few months down the road that the BIOS was crippled and won't support 64GB Ram.

No Events found!