Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 24th, 2019 12:00

17 R5, no supported AlienFX devices were detected

WIn 10 64, May update. Alienware 17R5. Bios 1.7, AWCC 5.2.37

Uninstalled, reinstalled. Registry does show that it detects devices, and lights work - I just can't change them

1 Message

August 31st, 2019 08:00

nothing on your website fixes this issue

1 Message

August 31st, 2019 17:00

Same stuff is happening to me. since the July update. Noting seems to be working now. The support team tried their best but all they wounded up was to uninstall and re-install the command center over and over again. If the problem was caused by the software update. you should fix it by another one or change your developer team. This is totally absurd and i think dell is doing nothing to fix it.

671 Posts

September 2nd, 2019 09:00

We assure you this has been brought to the attention of our software devs. Some users have been able to fix it with an earlier version of the Command Center. Whilst other have been able to fix it with the latest version from the MS Store and subsequently adding the OC and FX controls from within the MS Store // AWCC. 

15 Posts

September 5th, 2019 03:00

Same problem here. Received my Alienware area 51m 2 months ago. Having the same issue 2 weeks ago. No solution provided in this forum have solved the problem. Tried all steps sugested by dell.

1 Message

September 5th, 2019 07:00

Just paid almost $3000 for an Alienware R8 and same thing has happened again. I've been told to wipe drive clean and reinstall Windows from scratch. This is getting old. Come on Dell and fix your software!!!

671 Posts

September 5th, 2019 13:00

@Clarofaro
We assure you our software engineers are working on that matter. But, the complete OS wipeout has proven to have helped other users into fixing their issue. 

7 Posts

September 10th, 2019 11:00

Wow so after months of refusing to wipe my install to resolve this issue and getting the same ineffective solution offered by Dell support, testing the full Administrator account like BobNoNickname talked about is the first time I had a result that regained control of my lights

I installed by downloading the Control Center and OC Controls from Dell's site rather than the Windows store because for whatever reason they were still giving me errors on the OC Controls additional install prompt. Once that was confirmed I had an idea, so I switched over to my main account and saw as far as my account was concerned it wasn't installed at all. I then turned UAC off completely via regedit (navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" and set EnableLUA to 0), rebooted, logged back in to my account, and installed Alienware Control Center from the Windows Store. After that installed, I launched it and got the no AlienFX devices detected and then the prompt to install some addons (audio, FX, and OC I think?) and followed the prompts to do that, though it requested me confirm my identity for each add on. They installed and I relaunched the Control Center and AlienFX and light controls finally worked in my account again!

I went back to the registry and changed EnableLUA back to 1 to reenable and rebooted. Logged back in as my user and the Control Center didn't show up as installed again. What I was thinking was maybe there was some file access UAC was denying during the install process for some files that were needed and by installing with UAC completely turned off under my account first, I was able to fix that. I went ahead and reinstalled the Control Center from the Windows Store and got the prompts again to install the three other components and followed through with that and found that AlienFX was now back and fully functional for me under my regular account!

I've wasted so much time on this for half a year, I'm happy to have come to a resolution as I've done the uninstall and reinstall process Dell outlined so many times using both the Windows Store and Dell's direct download with no luck (including earlier today before reading what BobNoNickname said in this thread). I hope this can help Dell narrow down the issue with their software and/or get some more people with features they paid for functional again without having to waste any more time with steps that more often than not seem to be outright ineffective.

7 Posts

September 10th, 2019 13:00

15 Posts

September 11th, 2019 17:00

Man, i’ll follow your steps later today or tomorrow. i REALLY hope that disabling de issue in the registry fixes it. Anyway, thank you for melting your head gears for this and sharing here. It’s sad that the users are more dedicated to solve a software problem than the providers.

2 Posts

September 12th, 2019 19:00

Anyone found a solution yet? Just happened to me today after window updated.

15 Posts

September 13th, 2019 04:00

No, my alienware area 51m does not find the alienfx, and there is no official solution. It’s surely a conflict between windows and alien command center. The devs did not fixed the software yet.

671 Posts

September 13th, 2019 16:00

Hey guys. I'd like to give out a little bit of attention to the post McScruffy did a couple of days ago. As it has been a quite interesting approach. We're currently checking with our Software Engineers to see if there are more users whose AlienFX issue can be solved following the same steps. 

If you could try it out, we would really appreciate it. 

15 Posts

September 13th, 2019 17:00

I’ve tried those steps but it didn’t change a thing here. My alienware area51m is still refusing to recon the alienfx. In my case, i’ve always used the administrator account (the only user in my laptop), so the UAC config that was suggested didn’t work. The lights of the keyboard are on, but i can’t change a thing on them, nor use the fx option in alienware command center, nor the F12 button . Tha oc controls and fan controls works normally as well. For the record, it all started after a windows 10 update, so i’m pretty sure that it’s a software incompatibility between awcc and win10. For the record 2: Dell, there are lots of posts about this threat from different years, help fix this issue as your costumers gave you a vote of trust buying your product. THE SAME ISSUE IS HAPPENING FOR YEARS! Come on guys, it’s not a cheap product!

7 Posts

September 16th, 2019 06:00

Did you uninstall from the built in administrator account (that has no UAC window to confirm an admin function before you used that same account to reinstall the software?  For clarity, I used the download direct from Dell's site for the Command Center and OC controls installs and tested to see if I could access AlienFX in the command center before moving on to the rest of the process in my actual user account.  I actually had some updates today when I booted up and everything still works after that so I'm feeling pretty confident there's just some files that aren't installed initially due to permissions/ownership issues with the directories the program is installing to.

15 Posts

September 16th, 2019 10:00

Hi there McScruffy, my laptop is beeing used only in adm account, there are no other users linked to my alienware. Followed your steps, including the UAC regeddit mod, but nothing has changed in alienfx, still no supported message. The oc control works normally, and the pale blue lights are on. When booting laptop, the rainbow effect on keyboard works perfectly. Don’t have a clue to keep going here.
No Events found!