Closed

R

12 Posts

August 7th, 2023 04:00

17 R5, problems during startup on battery

Alienware 17 R5

Alienware 17 R5

Dear members, 

I have an Alienware 17 R5 that I have been experiencing problems with booting it up for quite some time. I just cannot get the problem solved and am desperate, so hope someone here can provide me with a solution. I have already searched the internet multiple times for a possible solution, so I have read a lot and also tried a lot. 

As soon as I want to start the laptop on battery (battery is fully charged and still functioning normally), it switches off automatically during startup. I then only get the laptop to turn on when I connect it to power. Once booted, there is no problem continuing to work on battery. This problem at startup also varies in time, sometimes it starts up from the battery with no errors or shutdown, other times it shuts itself down so. 

If I boot the laptop from the power cable, then there is no problem and so it does not shut down. 

Once the problem has occurred, I always check the system log to locate the error. Here I keep getting the error message that the 'xTendUtilityService' could not be executed. The strange thing is that this error message also occurs during boot sessions on battery where the laptop does not shut itself down. So in my opinion it can't be due to that, since the error message thus occurs even when there are no problems when booting via battery. 

All my drivers are up to date, all updates of Windows are installed as well. I have already reinstalled Windows 10 several times (clean install), run the System File Checker several times, set BIOS (1.20) settings to default values, ... 

So I am at my wit's end, as no solution has seemed to help so far. 

Do you have a possible solution for me please? 

Would it help if I would set the factory image back on the system? How can I obtain the original factory image, because when I use the OS Recovery Tool / Recovery Assistance, I can only chose to obtain a clean Windows 10 version (without the Alienware drivers & apps installed on it)? 

Thank you for the help! 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

August 7th, 2023 06:00

Hi @RobinP87 welcome to this free user-to-user Alienware laptop discussion forum. 

The xTendUtilityService.exe could be malware. Please download and run Malwarebytes free, Free Antivirus 2023 | Free Malwarebytes Download | 100% Free & Easy Install | Malware Removal

It seems there is a conflict within the operating system. Please run windows Reliability Monitor, wait for Event timeline to be created, and open the most recent Event. Within the Event, there should be a Root Cause and Microsoft error code. How to use Windows Reliability Monitor to identify software issues | Dell US

Dell can provide a paid for copy of their Alienware customised operating system. The Alienware 17 R5 system can be made Windows 11 ready. My Alienware 17 R5 has Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and I am not going to transition to Windows 11 until Microsoft stop supporting Windows 10. 

12 Posts

August 7th, 2023 07:00

Dear crimsom,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I installed Malwarebytes and no security issues were found.

I also ran the reliability monitor, and as expected it gave the following issues:

RobinP87_0-1691417241772.png

RobinP87_1-1691417295787.png

The xTendUtility.exe is the cause of the error, but all the drivers of the Killer Network interfaces have been installed properly and up to date...

So it still stays a mystery how to solve my issue of problems during startup on the battery.

As it doesn't happen during startups with the power cable connected, can it be that there is some issue with the power supply while working on battery?

No Events found!