Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

2 Posts

July 10th, 2019 21:00

m15, AWCC Update Broken

So apparently yesterday there was a new update for AWCC. I didn't notice until today when I tried to add a game to the library to have it go to 100 percent fans automatically. When I opened it, it started downloading and update by itself.

When it finished downloading, it opened a new window by itself, the normal Dell install package.

I think this is where I myself. You see, for some reason Dell doesn't offer a direct AWCC download on the driver page for the m15, so my previous install was from the Windows Store. However, the autodownloaded update wanted to install to the normal ProgramFiles directory. I did not know where Windows Store apps are installed so I clicked yes without changing the path. I believe this installed two conflicting copies on my m15.

Trying to open AWCC resulted in a continuously looping load screen. After about 10 minutes, I tried to uninstall AWCC from the control panel.

This apparently removed both copies as upon a restart, my shortcut for AWCC no longer functioned, and checking the Windows Store showed that I needed to install it again.

So I do. However, where previously I would launch it and it would begin downloading multiple apps, like OC Controls and the Audio system, etc, this time I got an error saying that no AlienFX devices were found. The only additional component it tried to install was OC Controls.

After OC Controls was downloaded, the Home tab disappeared, as did the FX tab, leaving me with only Library and Fusion. The Fusion tab itself was also broken as the power option dropdowns were entirely blank. The CPU and GPU temperature dials reported both being at 0 Mhz at 0 C.

I then followed the official uninstall guide, and removed all old folders and deleted the required folders from the registry.

I then tried again. No luck, same behavior as before.

I try again, following the steps, but this time using the actual download package from the driver page of the 15 R4. No luck.

I try again, but this time using an older version from late May. No luck.

I then contact support. They do essentially the same thing I did, without resolving the issue. They said that the only resolution was to use a restore point as allegedly some Windows update is interfering with AWCC which I doubt. I declined as I saw another post on this board that said a restore did not resolve the issue,

This issue also appears to be more widespread as seen on Reddit here

Adding my experiences to the conversation in hopes that it helps isolate whatever the issue is so hopefully a fixed version is released.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 11th, 2019 16:00

Hi @ImaSpacePotato

We are very sorry for the bad experience you have had with AWCC.

Engineering is already working on this. Please wait for a new release or, in the meantime, the only thing you can try is a reinstallation of Windows.

Send me a private message in case you have further questions.

1 Message

July 18th, 2019 03:00

Same issue here. I actually suspect the driver being the issue, Device Manager shows AWCC Driver to be ver 1.0.1.0 from 2017 (unsure if this is the correct version that should be packaged with v 5.2.42 of Alienware Command Centre) One thing I note is that when I put my service tag into the Dell Support site, Alienware Command Centre software doesn't come up automatically. (are Dell trying to tell m15 owners something?)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 18th, 2019 17:00

Hi @DMauricio ,

Uninstall and reinstall AWCC by following ALL the steps in this article:

https://dell.to/2LYsUjD

Then install the latest version of AWCC here:

https://dell.to/2LUarVw

August 4th, 2019 09:00

I completed this once using the latest AWCC download link without success and also by installing it from the Microsoft store without success. Is there a newer download that fixes this issue. I also have an m15 and I began seeing this issue after an update around the beginning of July as well.

8 Posts

August 5th, 2019 11:00

I had the same issue.  Support couldn't fix it even after 2 hours with them on the phone.

I fixed it: use Revo uninstaller, as it has a tab for uninstalling windows store items or something and using that feature, it found all the leftovers.

After it uninstalls the AWCC, it scans the registry and found A LOT of leftover AWCC junk.  I deleted all that.

I reinstalled from the dell download and not the windows store, and all is working reasonably well now (still get the no such and such warning when starting the AWCC, and user fan curves are still not followed, and there is memory leak if you leave the AWCC open so dont' leave it open for long periods of time).

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 5th, 2019 11:00

Hi @itsmillertime_5

Please try the following steps:

• Uninstall Alienware Command Center and ALL Add Ons from Programs and Features (OC Controls, AlienFX, Sound, etc.) following ALL the steps in this article: https://dell.to/2yDF6OP
  • Download and Install the latest Alienware Command Center from the MS Store (You will require a MS account). Open Command Center. You will get an error saying "No AlienFX Devices Detected". Disregard the massage for now. The Command Center will ask for deployment of several add ons. Download and install each of them (please consider that you will likely need to log to your MS Account several times for this process to complete successfully, do not skip ANY of the log in(s)). So, if no installation is skipped, your Command Center should be fully ready, and all add ons will now appear on the bottom of the Home Page.
  • At that moment, please restart the PC and ReOpen the Command Center. The error message should now be gone, and you should be able to control the lights. If the error still appears, but you can still navigate to FX Tab and change colors, then please keep in mind that by the 3rd week of August, we will release a new version of Alienware Command Center that should address these issues.

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2019 17:00

I did the uninstall and reinstall of Alienware Control Center but the option wont load in the Alienware Fusion software for Thermals and Overclocking.
I have just bought the laptop and it already has issue with this software. Very poor software for such an awesome laptop. I hope I can get a fix for this 

1 Message

October 17th, 2019 08:00

I did follow all the steps given in this link - https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln303405/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-the-alienware-command-center?lang=en and still, the Command Center is broken. It says no FX supporting device found. Keeping in mind this is the latest copy of your Alienware command centre software released after Aug fix (today is Oct 17) and I have an Alienware M15 what should I do now !?

I actually expected much more when I trusted Alienware and Dell as a brand over any other and purchased M15 as soon as it was launched. Sometimes I doubt my decision, sorry to say that but it's true.

1 Message

October 21st, 2019 00:00

Experiencing the same issues, uninstalled 5 times following the guides on how to uninstall and re-install. It. Does. Not. Work. I expect things to better work when I pay 2 thousand dollars for a computer. So now my keyboard is stuck with lights on, and it's annoying when trying to watch a movie, etc.

I haven't even had this computer for more than 6 months, Jesus.

No Events found!