Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

November 15th, 2018 12:00

13 R3, Slow Boot, Black Screen and Keyboard is lit

Hello, I just got a Certified Refurbished Alienware 13 R3 with i5 Quad Core, 8GB Ram, GTX 1050 TI, FHD Screen.

It restarts and wakes from sleep very fast. But anytime I shut it down then turn it on. The screen is black, the keyboard and power button light up, the fans spin, for 1.5-2 minutes. Then The Alienware logo is on the screen and it boots to windows in about 10-20 seconds. I opened support Assist and updated the BIOS and drivers. It still is the same. I disabled superfetch. I will call support next week if I cant figure it out. Thank You!

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

December 7th, 2018 03:00

Solved: motherboard 

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

November 16th, 2018 02:00

I reseated the ram and it took the normal time the first boot. Then I disabled hibernation and fast startup. 

Restarted it twice and it took the normal amount. But then I decided to try a shut down and power on. The black screen is gone, it goes straight to the Alienware logo loading screen!!  

I then tried restart again and it’s fast again. So it must’ve had to apply the new hibernation-off setting that I changed in the registry. 23 seconds to power on. Or 36 to restart. Awesome. I shut it down after that. 

I came back after 20 minutes of it being off and hit power on. **bleep** it is back to black screen 1 minute 30 seconds till Alienware logo. Then another 26 seconds till at windows desktop... 

Did restart and it took the 2 minutes again. So it seems to be random..  

31 Posts

November 16th, 2018 14:00

go into bios under "advanced" and then cpu peformance option...make it "disabled"....do nothing with the fans or anything else

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

November 17th, 2018 16:00

I finally gave in and called Alienware Tech Support. He ran a ton of tests on the Graphics Card, Etc. 

*What ended up getting rid of the black blank boot screen.. BIOS. Secure Boot / Disabled.*

Went from 2 minutes flat to 28 seconds. I’ve tested it multiple times using shut down and restarting. Also my Quick Startup program finally says 28 second boot. Every method I tried before, it said 1 minute 47 seconds. 

What’s funny is that I was going to try that option, but it gave me a warning message about are you sure you want to do this, you may need to reinstall windows. So I never did.. I don’t feel too insecure, since I use Webroot. It’s been my favorite non bloated virus program for a few years now. 

Hopefully it doesn’t come back! *fingers crossed*

This was my first time using Dell Tech Support and it was pretty decent. 

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

November 17th, 2018 16:00

@MikeB2308 wrote:

go into bios under "advanced" and then cpu peformance option...make it "disabled"....do nothing with the fans or anything else

I tried this and it didn’t fix the issue. Thank you for the reply though!

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

November 17th, 2018 20:00

Update the black boot screen is back.. 2 minutes to boot. **bleep**

January 6th, 2020 01:00

Motherboard is faulty?

1 Message

March 5th, 2020 21:00

Hello, I'm having the same issue after Dell changed my motherboard recently. How did you solve it? Another new board? 

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

March 5th, 2020 22:00

Dell replaced my computer for a different one. Boots up lightning quick. 

No Events found!