Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 15:00

15 R2, Camera not detected in Device Manager

I have a Alienware 15 R2 running Window 10 with all updated patches on top of AMI Bios v1.6.1

I am unable to use the webcam/camera because it is not detected in Device Manager any where. It does not have a Imaging Devices section because it does not see the webcam. I also checked under the USB section because it uses the USB controller for communication but again, I found nothing. If it is not detected in Device Manager then software drivers can not be installed so it is not a driver issue. i check the Bios/firmware for any mention of the builtin webcam but found none. What can I do to get the BIOS to see the webcam hardware so the Windows 10 OS can install drivers so it can be used?

Thanks, 

-Geo

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

September 4th, 2018 14:00

Hi @Geolt3,

When did this problem start? You can try a system restore to a previous point. 

2 Posts

September 4th, 2018 19:00

i think when I upgraded to BIOS v1.6.1 but not absolutely certain. Does the BIOS suppose to have a reference to the camera anywhere in it?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

September 6th, 2018 10:00

No, there are no options to enable or disable it in the BIOS. You can try re'flasing it or as I told you before: a system restore back to a previous point. Otherwise, I will need the service tag over private message to check on further possible repair options.

2 Posts

April 30th, 2020 03:00

I have the same issue with win8.1

I am going to try a linux distro and see if works there in there

2 Posts

April 30th, 2020 07:00

I booted into USB Ubuntu 20.04 and everything was working apart from webcam 'device not found'. As the original poster suggested could be a bios update issue. Mine was working in the past.

No Events found!