Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 14th, 2018 08:00

Alienware 15 R2 Touchpad/Button Click Disabled While Typing

So there are plenty of posts in the Community that address touchpad drivers settings that protect from accidental cursor movement while typing.  This is typically for the "Palm Rest" protection with all the various touchpad makers (Synaptics, Alps, ELAN, etc). Typically this needs to be disabled so the touchpad can be used in games.

On my Alienware 15 R2 (with the latest Dell Synaptics driver), I can get the touchpad to move the cursor while you type by disabling the palm detection in the driver, however I cannot get the buttons to work on the touchpad while keys are being pressed. 

In World of Warcraft, movement using the keys W-A-S-D, and to look, use the left-click held while you move around on the touchpad.  With left-click not working, it is impossible to look around, you are just moving the pointer.

Anyone got a solution for that or possibly a reg key that would make the touchpad and buttons work all the time?  I know it is possible because the system work before we needed to replace the hard drive and reinstall Windows 10.  

Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 16th, 2018 10:00

Hi @jbarbee,

Go to settings, devices, mouse and touchpad, touchpad and click on always on.

If this setting is not available, then try uninstalling the touchpad driver and use only the Windows 10 one. If no driver is already installed, install the latest one from Dell.com.

6 Posts

February 24th, 2018 10:00

@Alienware-Eimy wrote:

Hi @jbarbee,

Go to settings, devices, mouse and touchpad, touchpad and click on always on.

If this setting is not available, then try uninstalling the touchpad driver and use only the Windows 10 one. If no driver is already installed, install the latest one from Dell.com.

@Alienware-Eimy thank you so much for the reply.

I have tried to slice this every way I can think of, but the options you talk about are simply not there.  The Win10 driver only has the basic mouse control panel, and when you let windows automatically update the touchpad driver, it simply downloads an older version of the Synaptics driver.  Also, Dell updated their driver two days ago (2/22/2018), but there was not a change in behavior.

I know this hardware is capable of what we need.  It was fine, before we had to reinstall Win10 from scratch.

When Playing World of Warcraft, you can hold down on "W" to move forward.  With Palm Rejection disabled, you can still move the mouse pointer around as you are walking (again W is pressed down).  Once you left click on the touchpad it doesn't register, so you cannot change the camera.  Watching my son continuously click the left button until he sees the mouse pointer disappear, then he knows he can pan the camera angel around.  Again having never let off the "W" key.  He can repeat this over and over using all the movement keys, WASD.

I am attaching pictures of what we see for the touchpad control.  I feel there has to be a setting or registry key we can use to put the old functionality back  

touchpad-settings.PNGtouchpad1.PNGtouchpad2.PNGtouchpad3.PNGtouchpad4.PNGtouchpad5.PNG

Thanks again for the help, but we are not there yet.

6 Posts

March 6th, 2018 07:00

Still no luck solving this problem.

Anyone with a Alienware 15 laptop able to play a game (such as World of Warcraft, or Leage* of Legends) where you are moving with WASD, but you can still pan around with the camera using the touchpad, while holding the left button down?

At this point I am assuming some in the update wiped out a setting since our OS reinstall.

*Note: Why does Dell not allow the word L-E-A-G-U-E?

December 1st, 2018 08:00

Was this problem ever figured out? We are getting ready to return an Alienware 15 R4 because it does not work for the gaming activities it was purchased for.

December 1st, 2018 09:00

Newly purchased Alienware m15 R4. Have the same problem. Rather surprising that a product line that markets as gaming focused does not test its base system software install for out of box experience on the most popular games. QA dept. failure.

1 Message

June 17th, 2019 18:00

I know this is fairly old but I figured it out and might as well share.

Alienware doesn't support this feature (normally) through their software.

Through some registry editing I found the source and fix for it.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Defaults\ZoneManager\TPTyping

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Defaults\ZoneManagerForACM20\TPTyping

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Defaults\ZoneManagerForACM21\TPTyping

Within those strings are key's for "Timeout"

Setting the value to 0 decimal to these on each key and restarting worked and can now type and click using the touchpad. There might be another registry setting to just disable palm suppression entirely, however I'm not messing around with it anymore. Hope this helps any future google searches!

May 9th, 2020 21:00

I am sure I responded to this thread a moment ago but ...

Anyway. To solve this issue open the Pointing Devices app and under Sensitivity> uncheck the turn on box for Touch Rejection. Then click Save.

E

No Events found!