j011
1 Nickel

Alienware 17 R3 Dead After Update to BIOS 1.6.1

Alienware 17 R3: i7-6820HK, 980m 8GB, 16 GB ram, 4k screen

So several months ago I ran into the dreaded 1.4.4 bios update that crippled my system 3 minute boots, inability to shutdown, restart etc.

After dell released the 1.6.1 bios I was eager to finally fix my system and initially it did fix the boot time, restarts. But in the course of days after upgrading bios, the boot time infact became longer then on the 1.4.4 bios and as of yesterday the PC turned off and will not turn back on now.

Standard trouble shooting procedures resulted in no change and the $3000 machine crippled by a bios update is now completely dead after a bios update that was supposed to fix the initial bios update that broke it.

This has been an entirely disappointing consumer experience, I am saddened as this was truly my dream computer.

9 Replies

Re: Alienware 17 R3 Dead After Update to BIOS 1.6.1

Hi @j011,

Send me a PM with the Service Tag, so I can review your case. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
sartt
1 Nickel

No dont PM this, because im quite sure after this update, you are going to have HUNDREDS of thousands of people with ALIENWARE computers that want to know, why did this update BRICK THE BIOS, and how will they be able to fix it ( im one of them BTW ) 

0 Kudos
Systmyz
1 Nickel

Any update with this thread. I am also planning to upgrade my BIOS to 1.6.1 from 1.1.5 .

Can`t take risk at the moment, looking for final advises. Thanks!!

j011
1 Nickel

I would strongly advise against upgrading your BIOS, dell has dropped the ball every step of the way on an issue that goes back months.

Wezbow
1 Copper

Its simple - since Dell seem to be doing sweet f-all about this <Non-public info removed>.

unfortunately it seems to be the only way I (we) will get a response

if I bricked my machine due to installing mods etc then that's on me but this has come from an official Dell update

I wish with rest of you luck and hope your machines get fixed or replaced soon

Wez

0 Kudos
Recon_R
1 Nickel

You guys who cant get the computer to boot, you tried the CLRP bridge right?

I successfully repaired the slow boot/hang on shutdown/broken sleep just 2 days ago.  (1.4 BIOS broke it)

First step is Hunter's method at bottom of post here: 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/updating-intel-me-firmware-on-15-r2-17-r3-or-possibly-other-...

If that doesn't work (MEinfo can't communicate with ME firmware) you're going to have to purchase a programmer and reflash your bios chip.  That will cost you about $25 and a total disassembly of your laptop.  Follow the steps I took to fix after the first thread did not work for me: 

https://www.win-raid.com/t4058f39-Intel-ME-not-responsive-or-showing-in-device-manager.html

I had downgraded bios to 1.31 before starting this process (doesn't matter what version you are on to do the fix.)

But after I got Intel ME online with the above fix, I ran the latest 1.61 BIOS update and it installed without a hitch.

0 Kudos
Banger_35
1 Copper

<Non-public info removed> My machine has been bricked from 1.4.4 as well. I have updated to 1.6.1 i think it is, but it still crashes and wont shutdown unless forced.

0 Kudos
Recon_R
1 Nickel

@Banger_35 

Dell isn't going to help you.  The answer/fix is what I linked directly above your last post.  Since I posted, in this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/intel-me-completely-offline.825561/

I walked someone through the process you will need to do.  

I would advise you to take a look at that thread and reach out for help to solve your issue because Dell has decided to not acknowledge their screw up because money

0 Kudos
Recon_R
1 Nickel

Well I would link you to the solution thread on notebook review but Dell has conveniently marked it as spam when I post it.  So Google notebookreview Intel me completely offline and there you will see I walked a user through the repair process.

MODS **bleep**

0 Kudos