Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2020 06:00

Area-51m R2, performance issues

Alienware area-51m r2, purchased recently, when two adapters are connected, FPS starts to jump in all games and almost regardless of the graphics build. Windows has already reinstalled, all drivers have been updated, the problem has not gone away. one adapter does not have this problem, but I would like to play with maximum performance. During the fall of the FPS, you can see that the 330w adapter indicator periodically goes out. All checks through Bios and Dell programs did not reveal any problems, setting power modes did not help ...

Thanks in advance for your help.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 21st, 2020 15:00

Hi @Harshrow  thank you for sharing excessive power hungry gaming performance issues on a laptop. Seemingly the 330W charger cannot supply sufficient power and its indicator light periodically goes out. Postulate that to get consistently high power supply and FPS, both chargers should be replaced with more powerful chargers of identical wattage capability, and the main battery should be replaced with the maximum power battery. You may find that this is still insufficient power for the gaming duration and you will have to curtail gaming when the FPS drops. 

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2020 07:00

At the moment, I checked it with the help of software, launched FarMark and then OCCT test ... When two adapters are connected and when the power reaches 500w, the 330w indicator of the adapter is completely cut off and it stops its work, to work again, you need to pull it out of the socket. I checked the sockets with a marine multimeter and the wattage is more than sufficient.

With one 330w adapter, the power consumption does not exceed 250w and it works normally, when using a 240w adapter, the power in the region of 170w together when the power restrictions are removed, the above described problem produces.

Thanks for your halp!

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 21st, 2020 16:00

Hi @Harshrow  the laptop's internal dc socket cable assembly may have a fault and require replacement. Something seems to be dropping the power supply. 

4 Posts

thanks for your answer, but given that the laptop is in the maximum configuration for 2020, it seems to me that it should easily cope with games such as the Witcher 3. With one adapter, it doesn't matter 240w or 330w fps approximately 70-80, with two 120+ and drops to 1-5, so FPS jumps constantly ... But you gave me the idea that it might be some kind of rejection of the 330w adapter.

Build:

gtx2080 super

I9 10 - generation

64gb - ram

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

Hi @Harshrow  might give some thought to installing a power monitor between the ac mains power socket and plug. This will tell you if the charger is suddenly or intermittently drawing less power from the ac mains. If the FPS variation is synced with charger intermittent drop out, the charger should be replaced. 

4 Posts

November 21st, 2020 17:00

Thank you very much for the advice, it is very reassuring that there is probably a problem with the adapters, I will try to do it this morning for sure. In Ukraine, it is now 3:20 at night, so I'd better do it this morning) thanks again for your help and the fact that you didn't leave the question unanswered!

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 22nd, 2020 07:00

Hi @Harshrow  plug into ac mains socket wattmeter typically looks like this. Not sure what is available at your location. 

230V-50Hz-Digital-Energy-Meter-AC-Power-Meter-EU-Plug-Socket-Electricity-Analyzer-Digital-Wattmeter-Watt.jpg

December 30th, 2020 15:00

I am having the same issue. Agreed it is a problem with the 330W power supply, but what is the solution? replace the 330w power supply? thanks in advance.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

December 30th, 2020 16:00

Hi @MalHooligan97  welcome to this user to user forum.

If your problem is identical and your single or dual 330W ac adapters have the same fault, they should be repaired or replaced. If they are going to be replaced, get a more powerful ac adapter. If replacing dual ac adapters, get a matched pair with the same more powerful wattage.

Please note that if your system is under Dell warranty or extended warranty and being repaired by Dell, it must be in its original, as supplied from Dell, configuration. Dell might update their warranty profile of your system to include more powerful supplies (ac adapter and/or main battery). If they decline, keep the original ac adapters. Dell expects user to replace system batteries (main and button), so not sure if installing a more powerful main battery stops Dell warranty repair of system being undertaken.

1 Message

January 14th, 2022 15:00

I am getting the exact same issue.... 

So is the only option to replace the power supplies?

I Bought my system from dell refurbished and I dont have a warrantee ? does this mean I will need to buy the power adapters out of my own pocket?

No Events found!