Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2023 14:00

Area-51m R2, second AC adapter issue

Alienware Area-51m R2

Alienware Area-51m R2

Hello,

I starting observing this weird behavior of my second AC adapter today on my Alienware Area-51m R2.

When both adapters are plugged in, my Area-51m R2 is lagging.

1- While gaming, when I plug only the main adapter in, it's relatively smooth. Then as soon as I plug in the second one it starts lagging and my Area-51m R2 becomes slow.

2- When the second adapter is plugged in, when I unplug it from the laptop side and plug it again, it doesn't work anymore, it doesn't light up. I have to unplug/plug it again from the mural power source for it to work again.

Can anyone please help? I bought my Area-51m R2 a year and half ago (1 year warranty expired June 18, 2022) and I don't even know what's happening  

Thanks!

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

February 19th, 2023 18:00

Hi @xenaree thank you for sharing update of problem with game (world of warcraft). 

You have determined that BIOS acknowledges that the 330W and 180W ac adapters are connected to laptop. But BIOS does not check power output delivery. 

The second ac adapter (180W) should get warm when connected, but disrupts the game which becomes slow. It seems that second ac adapter has an unknown power delivery problem. 

Advocate getting another Dell OEM 330W ac adapter to boost game performance. 

How to Troubleshoot AC Adapter Issues on a Dell Laptop | Dell US 

How to Troubleshoot AC Adapter Issues DELL (Official Dell Tech Support) - YouTube 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

February 20th, 2023 01:00

Hi @xenaree thank you for sharing update. 

Yes, the Alienware Area-51m R2 is designed to use 2 x 330W ac adapters. 

The OEM 330W ac adapter is available from Dell Alienware Area-51m R2 Power Adapters | Dell Alienware Area-51m R2 Laptop Parts (parts-people.com). Make sure that mains plug is for your location.

Internet search finds typical discounted OEM 330W ac adapters at New Replacement 330W 19.5V 16.9A Power AC Adapter for Dell Alienware x51, X51 R2, M18x R1, R2, R3, M18X-0143 330w Laptop Power Supply ADP-330AB D, 331-2429, 320-2269, XM3C3, DA330PM111 (amazon.com). There might be further price reductions during your search. Make sure that mains plug is for your location. 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

February 19th, 2023 14:00

Hi @xenaree welcome to this free user-to-user Alienware laptop discussion forum. 

The ac adapter (charger) has an internal processor that handshakes with the laptop's dc-in port to protect the laptop. If the central wire in the diagnostic LED plug is bent or missing, or the dc-in port has worn during normal use the ac adapter will not work. 

Please remove all external connections to the Alienware Area-51m R2. Try to boot using first ac adapter in all dc-in ports to check that all the laptop's dc-in ports work. Then try to boot again using second ac adapter. If second ac adapter does not work in any laptop dc-in port, get replacement second ac adapter (up to 330W). 

New OEM Alienware Area-51m R2 OEM Alienware M18x / M18xR2 330 watt AC/DC Power Adapter, Dell P/N  DA330PM190.  

New OEM Alienware Area-51m R2 OEM Precision / Alienware 17 R4 180 watt Laptop AC/DC Power Adapter 7.4mm, Dell P/N - DW5G3 or 74X5J. 

4 Posts

February 19th, 2023 15:00

Hi @crimsom,

Thank you for your response. In fact when both adapters are plugged in my bios says 510w, 330 when the main ac is plugged in and 180 when the second ac is plugged in. So as far as i noticed they are both working (despite the 2nd point i mentionned)

When bios is displaying 510 and i open a game (world of warcraft) the laptop laggs and becomes slow.

The issue is that the second ac for some reason is causing a probem, the laptop starts lagging when it's plugged in.

I also noticed when it's plugged in it's never hot

4 Posts

February 20th, 2023 01:00

Hi @crimsom,

Thank you. I will try to get new adapter and hopefully the problem will be resolved.

As i understood, i can use 2 330W ac adapters on my alienware.

Do you recommend a particular brand or website ? I can't find official ones on the Dell website.

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2023 04:00

hi @crimsom, thank you for your help. I got another 330W adapter and everything is working fine now.

too bad this happened 2 months after my warranty has expired. The laptop is 15 months old.

Thank you !! 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

February 22nd, 2023 07:00

Hi @xenaree thank you for sharing that problem is fixed. Purchase of 330W ac adapter (charger) is cheaper than extending Dell warranty. 

No Events found!