Start a Conversation

Unsolved

JF

8 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 09:00

Area-51m, keyboard continually stops working

So on my Area 51m laptop my keyboard will suddenly stop working, and I have to restart the computer for it start working again.

I'm obviously no tech genius, but I have also noticed my Logitech M510 wireless USB mouse will also stop working every once in a while and I have to turn the mouse off and back on. So I thought maybe there was some connection.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 14:00

Hi,

Are you talking about the built in keyboard?

Make sure the BIOS is up to date and also check power options fro any setting related to this.

April 24th, 2019 04:00

Yes, I'm sorry, it's the built in keyboard. And I'm pretty sure the BIOS is up to date, but were would I go to check that?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 24th, 2019 09:00

How to check the BIOS version:

Hold the Windows key + R. In the run window, type msinfo32 and press EnterSystem Information window will open. In the window, make sure System Summary is selected in the left pane. In the larger right pane, locate BIOS Version/Date. The value against it will be your BIOS version.

Version: 1.3.2 ,1.3.2 is the current version, here you can find it:

https://dell.to/2ZtxRoY

April 24th, 2019 18:00

Yes, I have version 1.3.2. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 25th, 2019 08:00

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let us know if you receive any errors. 

Is there a way you can try with an external keyboard to see if the same happens?

Did you check power options settings?

Also, you can try a clean boot and/or available Windows Updates.

May 1st, 2019 15:00

I'm also wondering if the touchpad has something to do with it. I can't find the option to turn it off when I have a mouse connected. There is nothing there where the setting is supposed to be.

May 1st, 2019 15:00

The laptop passed all tests in the ePSA/Diagnostic (Validation code: 99771). 

It doesn't seem to happen with an external keyboard, but it's kind of hard to tell because there is no way for me to predict when it's going to happen and I can't keep the external keyboard plugged in at all times.

What exactly would I be looking for in the power options settings?

And the computer seems to be fully up to date. I have downloaded updates since this issue started and it currently indicates that there are no updates available.

I can try a clean boot, I guess, but this really doesn't feel like the kind of problem that will fix. I do feel like there is some kind of connection with the mouse, because sometimes I will hear the windows error notification sound and my mouse has malfunctioned (moving the mouse doesn't move the cursor). I turn the mouse off and back on and it works fine. However that is when I have the issue with the keyboard not working. It doesn't stop working every time the mouse malfunctions, but that is the only time the keyboard issue occurs.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 09:00

Ok, good news. Please keep us updated and let me know if you need further assistance. 

May 2nd, 2019 09:00

I rolled back the drivers on my touchpad and updated them and now I am able to disable it when my mouse is plugged in. So far, so good, as the mouse connection is yet to malfunction and neither has the keyboard. I guess it's kind of a waiting game from here.

May 3rd, 2019 12:00

Well the problem still exists. Even with the touchpad disabled, there was a malfunction, mouse stopped worked for a second, and the keyboard stopped working entirely until I restarted. Obviously, this is quite a maddening issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 17:00

Send me a private message with the Service Tag, so I can assist you further. 

May 31st, 2019 15:00

Wondering if this was resolved . I'm having the same issue.

June 1st, 2019 14:00

Same here

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2019 12:00

Hi @Gabriel-Laigo, @gdawgfan23 

Send me a private message with the Service Tag, a detailed explanation of what the issue is and what troubleshooting steps have you tired so far.

June 8th, 2019 07:00

I am not seeing the ability to message you on your profile contact page.

No Events found!