Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

September 5th, 2019 17:00

17 R4, changed fans, lost hard drive, legacy, no WiFi or USB

I am SOOO frustrated now! I simply changed the fans on my laptop and when I restarted it said there was no bootable drive. I tried EVERYTHING I could find to fix it and finally took the hard drive to a comp repair and they said the partitions were deleted. I had a SSD drive in another computer (with windows 7 on it) and we put it in my alienware. It still would not boot until we changed to Legacy. I finally thought I had it going and went to reinstall my windows 10 from Dell and I have NO wifi or USB drivers! I moved the SSD BACK to the old computer, downloaded the drivers for both for windows 7 and then moved the SSD BACK to the alienware to only have each driver say the computer was not compatible with the drivers. I tried to switch back to UEFI to see if that helped and in UEFI, it just goes back and says there is no bootable operating system. HOW IN THE WORLD am I supposed to get my windows 10 and Dell drivers BACK on this thing if I don't have drivers and downloading drivers onto the hard drive with another computer just says they can't be installed on my alienware computer. I am BEYOND frustrated with this thing. There was NO reasons the fan should have ever gone bad already to begin with, but I was trying to just move on but this is ridiculous now! Someone please help! The warranty ended on March 14, 2019.

24 Posts

September 5th, 2019 18:00

Probably stupid of me to even ask, but you did attempt to rest the BIOS right? Trying jumping the pins CLRP1 under DIMM slot 2 and see if that works.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 16th, 2019 11:00

You can't install Win 7 drivers using one PC and then expect them to work with Win 10 in a different PC.

If you installed Win 10 correctly, it should have installed USB drivers, and probably a WiFi driver too.

All Dell's Win 10 drivers for the Alienware 17 R4 are here. You can download them using any PC onto a USB stick and then copy them over to the 17 R4 to install. A number of  different WiFi and Ethernet drivers are listed, so make sure you get the ones that are specific for the hardware installed in your system.

I suggest you wipe the SSD (or the original HDD) and start over with a clean install of Win 10 followed by the right drivers for this model.

No Events found!