Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2019 15:00

M17x R3, no internet drivers?

Please Help!

I recently had to install a fresh Windows 7 using the OEM CD that came with my M17x R3. It will not connect to the internet.

I have tried everything possible from call dell & them email me "the right driver" to allow net access to finish updating & be able to use the diagnostic tool. I've also read the "unofficial install guide" made by the Dr/Dell enthusiast but its not really helped. Ive installed a few drivers but none seem to be the correct set.

Nothing is working. I cannot get the correct drivers installed to allow it to connect to any internet even when hard lined. I'm also missing other drivers but I figured if I use the online diagnostics it will help get rid of all the yellow !!! under device manager.

I have been told do NOT use the resource CD as it will cause problems that Dell will charge to fix it.

I'm at a complete loss & have no clue what to do from here. Any information, suggestions, just anything would be so greatly appreciated!!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 11:00

In case you run into this again, fyi I literally just needed the 4-character VEN and DEV codes for each device, so you could have just said "For WiFi, I have VEN 8086 and DEV 0083, and for Ethernet, I have VEN 1969 and DEV 1083."  Note that the VEN and DEV codes on every line for a given device's Hardware IDs readout are identical.

Anyway, the Ethernet controller is the Atheros 8151.  The direct link to the driver for that device on Dell's site is here.  The WiFi controller is coming up as an Intel WiFi Link 1000, which is a very old card, and strangely there isn't even a driver listed for that card on Dell Support's page for this system, but the direct link to the driver for that card from Intel is here.  Or if you can actually use wired Ethernet at least temporarily where you are, I'd just download the Ethernet driver and then get started with those KB updates.  After that, Windows Update might even push some of the other drivers you need, and/or you can use Dell's automated tools to scan your system and provide the appropriate drivers.  There's also an application called Alienware Update that can do that, but I don't know if it works on older systems.  Good luck!

As for Windows 10, the claim about "Dell access codes" being responsible for being unable to install from Microsoft media is completely bogus, and if you want to use Windows 10, the fact that Dell doesn't have install media for you is irrelevant because as you found, you can download Windows 10 straight from Microsoft.  I'm not sure what exact error message you're referring to based on the description you gave, but if you can get Windows 7 up and running well enough, you can also use the Media Creation Tool to simply perform a Windows 10 upgrade on that system rather than building bootable media, so I suppose you could go that route.  It's not as clean, but I don't know if it would be practical to troubleshoot Windows Setup issues over forum posts like this.

9 Posts

May 1st, 2019 16:00

Was this the driver they told you to install? 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=kwvmd&oscode=w764&productcode=alienware-m17x-r3

Windows 7 needs the F6 chipset driver to be installed first before any other drivers can be installed.  In some OEM disks, it is not already included in the installation and will need to be installed manually.  If you can't get internet on this system, you'll need to install it onto a USB on another system and then plug it in to your AW system. 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 1st, 2019 17:00

@Allmightyballsgo to Device Manager and look for an unknown network/Ethernet controller.  Device Manager should open in a way that unknown devices are already shown by default rather than you having to expand any category to find them.  Open the properties of the unknown network/Ethernet controller, go to Details, and select Hardware IDs in the dropdown.  Post the 4-character VEN and DEV codes you find there on this thread.  That will help identify which network card you have (since it seems that system shipped with multiple options) and therefore the correct driver to install.  You will of course need to get to another system that has Internet access to actually download the driver, though.  Hopefully that's not an issue.

Or if you're doing a clean install, you might really want to just consider installing Windows 10 even if it means buying a license (although some are reporting that Microsoft is still allowing free activations on Windows 7 keys).  The reason is that Microsoft will stop providing security updates to Windows 7 in January 2020, and if XP's demise is any indication, browser vendors will stop providing updates to Windows 7 systems shortly thereafter, at which point the system will arguably become unsafe to use on the Internet and might eventually stop working properly as it doesn't get updated to support new Internet standards and technologies.

But if you're adamant about sticking to Windows 7, once you get Internet connectivity, you should manually download the updates below rather than just kicking off Windows Update.  Windows 7 SP1 is very old by now, so if you don’t do this, you could spend many hours installing hundreds of updates over several reboots, in fact nowadays it can take hours for Windows Update on a fresh SP1 install to even figure out what needs to be downloaded. The updates below will avoid that. Just Google the KB numbers to find the download links. This assumes you're starting with SP1 already installed, otherwise download and install that first, then install these updates in this order:

- KB3020369: April 2015 Servicing Stack Update (required to install subsequent updates)

- KB3125574: Windows 7 Convenience Update (takes you from SP1's February 2011 state all the way to April 2016 in one big package rather than hundreds of individual updates)

- KB3172605: July 2016 Update Rollup (includes the fix for very long Windows Update scan times, so after installing this, you may still have a few dozen updates, but at least you won't be waiting potentially hours for them to even start downloading).

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 1st, 2019 17:00

@Amjoctthe F6 driver refers to the Intel Rapid Storage driver.  If that were required and not available, the OP wouldn't even have been able to install Windows because Windows Setup wouldn't have seen the hard drive.  Given that Windows did install, that driver might benefit from being updated, but it definitely wouldn't prevent network connectivity.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 1st, 2019 18:00

@Allmightyballsas an alternative to my suggestion above if you really don't have access to another PC to download drivers and copy them onto a flash drive to bring them to your rebuilt system, if that system came with Windows 7 from the factory and that resource CD you have contains drivers, there's absolutely nothing wrong with installing drivers from there.  They will certainly be very outdated by now so you'd want to update them later, but they'll at least get you going.  And absolute worst case if it does somehow mess up Windows, which again is hugely unlikely if the system came with Windows 7 to begin with, then you can just perform another clean install.  It's not like a Resource CD is going to fry your hardware.

May 2nd, 2019 09:00

No when I called they sent me Dell Wireless 375 A00 R289410. It seems to be the Bluetooth driver but upon usb install it didn't fix anything including bluetooth 

I took a picture to show exactly what Im seeing. I have been on Windows 10 for a bit too long. I also would prefer to upgrade to it but theres an issue but Im not clear on why or what.  I had window 10 Pro, working but then I cleaned the fans(pressing the power button with the battery out) and after turning it back on it gave me so many issues I couldn't get any answers to fix. After a month of getting no where all I was told was my M17xR3 isn't compatible with Win10 features hence the blue screens. I also couldnt not get any form of Win10 USB tool to work during the attempted fix of the blue screens or I would have just wiped it & started over fresh..Something about a media ID(Dell tool wont recognize my key either for camaptibility reasons)Id love to go back but need to make sure it would be a smooth transition.

The disk does have SP1 written on it.

Just to be clear. Since I have SP1 Start with the first KB updates & install in order going down the list? Ill definitely give that a try once I get the internet working. Im also not exactly sure where to start with the net driver install, I get the USB transfer but it seems what Ive installed before isn't correct so I removed them all before postingMissing Drivers Screen shotMissing Drivers Screen shot

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@Allmightyballs wrote:

No when I called they sent me Dell Wireless 375 A00 R289410. It seems to be the Bluetooth driver but upon usb install it didn't fix anything including bluetooth 

@Allmightyballs  that system was also available with other WiFi/Bluetooth card models.  If you post the VEN and DEV IDs from Device Manager that I mentioned earlier, it would be possible to look up the specific WiFi card you have and therefore provide the correct driver.  Or again you could try the Resource CD.

I got impatient last night & tried using the resource CD but nothing happened. I didn't try this before because I saw several posts about how using it will not only take hours if it works but it somehow has a connection with the lights & an Alienware program that will require a fix or new motherboard due to a possible short circuit. 

I found several forum posts about this while googling why the DVD wasn't installing anything

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/DO-NOT-USE-THE-RESOURCE-DVD/td-p/5628463

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 10:00

Unfortunately uploaded images are initially visible only to the person who uploaded them and to Dell moderators until they get "approved" for general viewing, which is partly why I asked for just the 4-character DEV and VEN codes rather than a screenshot.  But yes, once you get your drivers installed, you'd work your way down that KB list in order if you've already got SP1.

The Resource CD might just be a bundle of drivers that you'd have to install manually as opposed to having an integrated installer that does everything for you.  I'm not sure since I haven't used one in forever.

As for Windows 10, I'm not sure what was going on with the Win10 USB tool, or for that matter what tool you were trying, but the Microsoft Media Creation Tool will allow you to create either a bootable Windows 10 DVD or a bootable Windows 10 flash drive.  It is certainly possible that the specific flash drive you were trying to use was a problem -- I've seen cases of systems being able to use but not boot from certain flash drives -- but in general if you've used the Media Creation Tool to prep the flash drive, you should just be able to just have it connected when the system first starts, then press F12 to access the one-time boot menu, and choose to boot from USB.  To do a fully clean install, when you get to the Upgrade/Custom choice, choose Custom, then at the page that lists any existing partitions, delete all of the partitions on the target disk until that disk shows as completely unallocated space, and then select that as the target.  Windows Setup will lay down the appropriate partition configuration automatically.  And Windows 10 might also have built-in support for your hardware.

@jphughan  My apologies, I posted a picture of the network info & other things listed under device manager to be safe that I wasn't leaving anything out. I'm also using a crappy small HP laptop that's only got 4g space so its going as slow as possible. I really appreciate the time you've taken to help me out

@jphughan  That I did not know. Again Apologizes

Under Hardware ID Network controller is

-PCI/ven_8086&Dev_0083 Subsys_13258086&rev_00

PCI/Ven_8086&Dev_0083 Subsys_13258086

PCI/Ven_8086&Dev_0083&CC_028000

PCI/Ven_8086&Dev_0083&CC_0280

I also have ethernet controller showing

PCI/ven_1969&Dev_1083& subsys_04901028&Rev_C0

PCI/ven_1969&Dev_1083& subsys_04901028

PCI/ven_1969&Dev_1083&&CC_20000

PCI/ven_1969&Dev_1083&&CC_200

Wasn't sure if you needed all hardware ID's with a yellow ! or just the ones related to internet.

Concerning Windows 10. I did use Microsoft media tool at first. I could get to the install Windows install menu then the next screen after that kept requesting I put in media & restart the process. I tried 3 different USBs of various size & even tried using the OEM hard drive & a new SSD trying to get it to take the Win10 stick, both got stuck in the same place.
I was then told by Dell it was the Microsoft Media Tool itself, something about not having Dell Access codes. Though it has worked 2 times before without issue.. Also told that they no longer have the media needed so unless I had my original disks my computer would never work again.

So I tried the Dell OS Tool as suggested, which wouldn't let me get passed the 1st screen because it says "No OS defined" and wouldn't accept my service tag so it wouldn't let me create anything on the USB. Its apparently due to Win10 not compatible with my older machine(even though its been on win10 without issue for the past 2 & half years).
That's basically what started all this & is why Im here now. I had no way to recover my PC thanks to a Microsoft remote controller who reset it from 10 to 7 instead of making the USB as requested. After it was locked up and wouldn't attempt to load anything BUT the oem disk that came with the PC.
Alienware reps have told me to sell it, it wont work on W10 no matter what & they couldn't fix it even if I sent it in because they are out of stock of media repair and without it(or the OEM disk) my laptops now a pretty paperweight.

May 2nd, 2019 13:00

@jphughan Oh My THANK YOU!!  You are a master. I salute you & thank you beyond words for putting my 3 week adventure to a quick end! I owe you big time!

First link for the drivers downloaded, USB'd, installed & bam internet.

FIrst KB update- It downloaded & installed or I believe it did. The windows update screen did pop up showing it has never had an update, 1 failed & there are 176 important updates waiting.

In history it shows the Update for windows & update agent were successful but the antivirus  KB915597 Definition 1.293.491.0 failed. Not sure if I should keep moving with the other updates or try to reinstall that one.

I'm also looking at the download catalog for the 2nd & 3rd KB update you listed but it shows 2 and I'm not sure which I should pick.  Both that are for 64bit one says Server 2008 R2. I'm assuming that is not the correct one since it says server.

That's the progress as of now. Have a bad feeling I will be stuck with going through the 176 waiting. Ive always had bad luck with the antivirus updates for some reason

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 15:00

@Allmightyballs  here’s a direct link to a download page. Just get the one listed as for Windows 7 x64 (64-bit edition): http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb3125574

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 15:00

Glad you’re online! Ignore Windows Update for the moment. For the large Update #2 I mentioned, there are separate versions for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. If you Google “Windows 7 Convenience Update” you should be able to find the one you need with that KB number. The page you find might ALSO include a link to the KB I listed as Update #1 since that’s a prerequisite, but if you’ve already installed that, no need to do it again. After you install that large update and then Update #3 I listed, tell Windows Update to check for updates again. Your list should be a lot shorter.

No Events found!