alienwarer15
1 Copper

clone SSD to new SSD with all smaller partition that includes recovery and dell oem partition Alienware 15 r3

I bought a new 512GB SSD and I want to clone OS with all the smaller partitions that dell Alienware 15 r3 comes with. I used EaseUS cloner to clone os drive. Do i need to close each partition one after another?  

Also, after cloning OS i was trying to boot from the new SSD drive. So, I went to boot manager from BIOS but i was not able to change booting to new SSD. it had option of windows boot manager as the first priority. I could not find my new ssd there.  How do i boot from the new ssd?

Is there a better way of getting all of this done with different software? is there any video tutorial for this?

thanks for the help

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: clone SSD to new SSD with all smaller partition that includes recovery and dell oem partition Alienware 15 r3

You don't need to run separate clone operations for each partition. You should be able to choose to clone the entire disk.  However, if you're cloning to a larger SSD than you have now, then you should specify any expanded partition sizing while "staging" the clone job rather than counting on being able to shrink/expand partitions later.  That's especially true if you have a Windows Recovery partition AFTER the C partition, because in that case when you clone the disk to a larger SSD, you'll have a bunch of unallocated space at the end of the disk, but you won't be able to just extend the C partition to use it because the Recovery partition will be in the way.

As for booting, newer systems boot in UEFI mode, and UEFI booting does not work by booting from a specific device like Legacy BIOS systems.  The Windows Boot Manager entry you see actually points to a specific file on a specific partition of a specific disk, and that path was registered into the UEFI firmware by Windows Setup when it was first installed.  Some clone applications do not correctly register those paths to new disks they set up.

In terms of cloning options, Macrium Reflect is a popular choice and they have a free version that would suit your needs.  Their step-by-step guide for cloning a disk is here, and Steps 4 and 5 address how to specify custom partition sizing.  Before running the clone, I would create the Reflect Rescue Media on a bootable flash drive and test boot your system from it.  Then run the clone, and if your system doesn't boot from the new SSD automatically, boot your system into Rescue Media and run the "Fix Boot Problems" routine, which should fix it.  Make sure the old SSD is NOT connected when you do that.

alienwarer15
1 Copper

Re: clone SSD to new SSD with all smaller partition that includes recovery and dell oem partition Alienware 15 r3

ok. leme try the cloning with Macrium Reflect tonight. 

as you mentioned, UEFI expects the path. how would i change that to lets say A: WINDOWS from C:/ which is current set path

0 Kudos