Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2021 00:00

m15 R1, BIOS 2.9.0 doesnt work on Windows 11

Guys, I have a Dell Alienware m15 recently I see dell released a new BIOS update for my laptop. I tried to update via the .exe package but it's failing, the packet is crashing on start. File name Alienware_m15_m17_2.9.0.exe released October 5th.  One guy on Reddit reported the same problem then he went back to windows 10 and was able to install the update.  My question is: Where I can report to Dell to address the problem!

1 Message

December 21st, 2021 06:00

I sent a service request to dell on 12/20/2021about this issue. Have not heard back yet will post if I hear anything

UPDATE=RESOLVED-installed bios using a flash drive and it worked perfectly 

No, I didn't as have no time to go this way. I'm caple and confident to do it but tell me why? There are other, not techie people who have no clue what is to update bios via flash so I'm addressing the problem that the package should be fixed to work with windows 11 or confirmed is windows 11 problem and addressed to Microsoft devs.

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

tried updating manually (using F12 at startup)  using an usb stick with the bios file on it?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 20th, 2021 02:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Andrius.Karpas 

Just by posting a Mod should see this.

As it is a very common problem we can only wait to see if Dell does anything.

Just wait for a few months and there should be another update. 'Maybe"

Best regards and good luck,

U2

October 20th, 2021 05:00

Hi, at some point I agree with you we have to wait, but before we wait,  the problems should be addressed, otherwise if no problems, there is nothing to fix my friend.

1 Message

December 9th, 2021 11:00

I have the same problem with my M15 and the I tried to just get the File and update it via a F12 Bios Flash but the .exe file will not extract the actual Bios file so I can't Flash it if it won't extract.  It says it's a critical update but I doubt it is necessary since everything seems to work fine on my system.   I will try again a few weeks later when there are other updates, perhaps DELL will address this issue eventually or if it is a Windows 11 issue, perhaps Microsoft will.  

• 

16.7K Posts

December 27th, 2021 06:00

A bios version 2,10 was released Nov. 9,2021 located here.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

December 27th, 2021 08:00

The BIOS should be updated incrementally, one update at a time, its only a small file and update file does not include all the previous update features. Download and save BIOS update .exe file to local admin account, then verify file checksum value to check integrity of download. For the official Dell BIOS update process, see how to Update the BIOS on your Alienware PC - YouTube

Alienware m15 BIOS update is acknowledged within Alienware laptops supported by Dell for Windows 11 - Dell Community

No Events found!