Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

October 31st, 2019 02:00

m15 R2, Brand new, keeps freezing intermittently

Thank you for fixing my first dead pixel problem by changing my LCD screen on my BRANDNEW month old Alienware M15 R2 unit. However, more problems plague my Laptop, although fully updated, it faces freezing and stuttering problems. 

I would be working on my laptop then suddenly out of nowhere everything would just freeze. Now I have to revert back to my Dell XPS 15 5960 and I don't know what to do. I am really beginning to regret my purchase of this unit of Alienware after shelling out almost SGD$4k for it. When I could have gotten something for 2/3 of the price with equivalent specs.

If anyone has the same issues as me and manage to solve it, please help me. I feel like I might have to use it as an over weight paper weight.

2 Posts

April 16th, 2020 04:00

For everyone with random freezes, I had the exact same problem, random freezes couple of times a day. I contacted Dell support they couldn't find the cause of the problem. The freezes stopped after I uninstalled AWCC and OC Controls and installed a new one. One thing to mention is that it was very painful to find a working AWCC since for some strange reason the software is not available on model's driver list? 

Once I uninstalled both AWCC and OC Controls (uninstall OC Controls first) <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> and download version 5.2.63.0.

Once AWCC is installed and you run it, it will prompt you install OC Controls automatically.

Hope it helps guys.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2019 06:00

Same thing is happening too mee

1 Message

November 13th, 2019 08:00

I am having the same problem with my brand new machine. The freezing can happen at any time, for example just as I am mousing across the desktop with no applications open. I have been trying to see whether something in the background is running, for example an update or search indexing, but nothing in particular looks suspicious.

1 Message

November 13th, 2019 12:00

I seem to be experiencing the same problem- has frozen several times today requiring a hard restart.  Just tried to run Alienware maintenance app and it froze up at 23% checking drivers and downloads.  Seriously ticked off- getting ready to make yet another hard restart and put in a support ticket.

November 24th, 2019 11:00

My Alienware m15 R2 stutters intermittently with system interrupts consuming 100 percent of the processor.
Core i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 4k oled
Mouse lags, scrolling in file explorer is not smooth.

• 

25.7K Posts

November 25th, 2019 05:00

Hello, we are sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue with your M15 R2, can you please send us a private message with your service tag in order to check the system specs and assist you further? 

1 Message

December 27th, 2019 00:00

I just bought an m15 and I am seeing the same problem. During normal operation not running a game, the system will freeze for 10 to as much as 30 seconds where I can't use the mouse or have keyboard interaction. I have also had the occurrence of where the system will go to sleep after only a few minutes of operation. I have set the timing such that the computer should not go to sleep for 30 min. I am actively working and the system goes to sleep.  It takes a couple of presses of the power button and then I have to enter my pin again to actually log-in. I have several other windows 10 machines and none of them have ever exhibited this type of behavior. I have not tried to disable any of the built in Alienware software but since normal Windows 10 does not do this, I hope it is their software and not the hardware.  Another thing I am experiencing is that I get a battery critically low message when the battery has about 98 percent capacity and it indicates I have more than 3 and 1/2 hours remaining. For about a 4K$ purchase this is abysmal. I have used many other Dell machines and have not experiences anything like this on a premium computer before.

3 Posts

January 9th, 2020 14:00

I'm not sure but I think I'm performing the same issue actually! Need your help Dell.. 

1 Message

January 9th, 2020 18:00

my new m15 is now freezing needing a hard rest to come out of it, was working fine until i sent it in to dell to replace the motherboard that fried now i cant play a single game for 15 minutes without it freezing. already sent in the laptop twice once for the mother board and the freezing issue was told nothing is wrong.

3 Posts

February 26th, 2020 22:00

Same here! This tends to happen during normal operation, not necessarily fancy games, although I do play some as well as run 3D modeling and rendering programs.

Sometimes the whole screen will freeze and be totally unresponsive for a few seconds, as someone else noted. Sometimes the mouse is responsive but nothing can be clicked and nothing is moving. Sometimes the icons in the task bar disappear! They're still there, I can hover over them and the underline appears, I can click them to open the programs... but the icons are just gone. And this most recent time... not only did the current process freeze, when I opened the task manager it showed no processes running and upon expanding the task manager... the task manager froze before loading any info. (I took a picture, Dell!) And there it sat for a good 10 minutes until I gave up and hard reset.

The frequency this happens is annoying and the worrisome. I'm an architect... what if I lose an hour of work because it stopped saving before it crashes? This is absolutely unacceptable for a brand new computer. I will call tech support when they open tomorrow, but please, if anyone knows anything at all, post away!

Added: There seems to be some connection to the Alienware Control Center thingy. It's constantly trying to update or add something, and at least 2 occasions of freezing (including just today) happened after an update + clicking something in the Alienware program. Like... anything. This time I had it auto-sense my games, add them to the library, and I clicked on one BOOM frozen.

1 Message

March 6th, 2020 04:00

When the RTX2080 usage > 30% the laptop freezes completely. I'm on Ubuntu 18 on my side and never encountered such bizzare things....

1 Message

March 7th, 2020 20:00

I have the same problem. My m15 freezes so many times everyday since the second day that I got it. It’s weird because it never happens when I’m playing game. However, if I watch videos or browse the web, the screen will suddenly freezes. I cannot click anything, cannot move my mouse. I cannot even close the laptop or press the power button to let it sleeps. The only thing I can do is press the power button for 5 second or longer to make it forced shutdown.

1 Message

March 21st, 2020 01:00

Same issue here.  Just over 1 month old.  Only hard reset solves it.  Happens multiple times a day.  This is my 3rd Alienware M15, I had an R1 that had minor issues, an R2 that had thermal issues and burned up, now this.  This is my last Alienware laptop.  

No Events found!