Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2021 22:00

m15 R5, no sleep, doesn't turn monitor off, no hibernate

Hi,

Like many others, I've been extremely frustrated with my Alienware M15 R5 (ST: ). The system can no longer go into sleep mode, doesn't automatic turn off monitor after the set time and even doesn't Hibernate (I activate the Hibernate option in the power config). 

Whenever I try to manually put the laptop to sleep, it may turn off the monitor for a few seconds. The keyboard and alien heads lights still turns on, then it IMMEDIATE wakes up! 

I've updated all that I can, BIOS, Windows, NVidia. I googled all that I can. I tried all of the powercfg command. But it still doesn't WORK. I have seen numerous people, topics online and they have had the same issue. 

Please help me with this issue. Thank you. 

August 13th, 2021 09:00

Hi there, 

Many thanks for your time. It's my stupidity but I still want to show because may some other users face the same problem like me. 

I tried a lot approaches: hard reset, including reset my laptop as well, etc. However, I did not notice that the auto Monitor turn off & sleep setting do not apply with slideshow in lockscreen (I accidentally turn from Windows spotlight to Slideshow). Rationally, when I came to Power & sleep settings, I totally focused on the below options and did not notice the warning from Windows for the lockscreen slideshow. 

So, my problem is solved now. Really sorry for your time and thanks very much for your effort. 

Regards, 

Capture 1.PNG

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 8th, 2021 22:00

Do a complete hard reset of the laptop and then try hibernating or sleeping as that can help. Hibernating isn’t like sleep though as it holds it on the HDD or the SSD instead of RAM. But something must be wrong.

Have you tried running the Bluetooth troubleshooter to see if that was an issue also? And enable usb turn on in the bios.

42 Posts

August 8th, 2021 23:00

I have similar issue at 2 different AW noteooks.

For the first (hang on power transaction) the issue was a bug into AWCC messing ACPI tables to dust. FULL uninstall (with ALL drivers) bring things back on.

For the second (sleep/hib then wakeup immediately) - the source was a bug into Nvidia USB-C drivers. Remove any device from USB-C/MiniDP port and it will be.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

Ok the sleep problem could be RAM related or a corrupt window file so I recommend sfc /scannow in the command prompt as an admin. It should let you know if any corrupt files were found and fixed. Also if it does say found issues and fixed them restart the laptop via hard reset. Holding the power button until it turns off and then turning it back on.

Thanks. 

I tried Bluetooth troubleshooter and enable the USB Wake Support in the BIOS. The Hibernate works well now. However, it doesn't fix the sleep problem. 

I'll try the hard reset of this laptop and see whether it works or not. 

August 9th, 2021 02:00

Thanks, I think I'll try to uninstall AWCC to see what happens. 

August 9th, 2021 02:00

Thank you very much! I tried both sfc /scannow and hard reset. However, only Hibernate works. The sleep problem is still not fixed  

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 9th, 2021 10:00

I know this isn’t lenevo but he said he saw some things inside his event viewer that popped up as soon as he closed the lid for sleep. He said stopping QuickResume fixed the issue and I’m wondering if anything you have on the system does that. Also I recommend that you check the event viewer once again for SPECIFIC devices that throw an error.

1 Message

August 13th, 2021 10:00

Have you tried to run Bluetooth Laptop problem solvers to see if it's a problem too? And activate the USB on the BIOS

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 13th, 2021 15:00

He said it was a slideshow issue but i also recommended the Bluetooth troubleshooter and it fixed hibernation issues but not sleep. Until he mentioned it was a slideshow issue it fixed both errors.

No Events found!