Neowaldrich
1 Copper

Re: m15 downgrade from BIOS 2.0.4

Jump to solution

Any version of the BIOS above 1.4.1 has this problem! That's why I think was not a Dell mistake, but they intended to change fan curve activation. Alienware M15 is widely known for being a "hot computer", I think Dell tried to cool it down by changing fans RPM curve to activate in temperature above 40c. The problem is, the RPM they choose is 60-64% of the fan rotation, which is too much noise! If they left something like 30%, I'm very much sure it'd bother that much... maybe, with many people complaining about this, they change it. 

The heat used to be an issue and concern for me using this computer... it constantly hit 99C playing any game. But after repaste it and undervolt it, it doesn't go above 80C and the performance increased significantly for long period gaming. 

0 Kudos
arncota
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I agree, this has to be intentional. But the fan runs all the time at the higher BIOS versions, even when just sitting there idle not doing anything (for me at least).
0 Kudos
JohnnyRamone
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Yes it may be intentional but for me the m15 is useless when the fans run all the time even in idle. With the 1.4.1 bios everything is fine for me. When playing Battlefield V the fans run at high speed but i dont care because i use my headset. But when i have to work with word or excel or just browse the internet i expect the pc to be (almost)quiet.

0 Kudos
Neowaldrich
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The new BIOS ver. 2.1.1 still having the same issue, don't even try to install... I don't think Dell is listening to us... This is the 5th or 6th update ALL with the same problem! 

0 Kudos
JohnnyRamone
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Thanks for that information. I cant understand that dell doesnt solve this noise problem. Should not be too difficult to manage fan-controls like in the 1.4.1 bios. 

Elgreco15
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Dell/Alienware needs to fix this crappy bios for once. Extremely **bleep** for paying so much money on machine, which sounds like a vacuum cleaner 24/7.

RotateMe
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I just wanted to hop on to say that I agree in that the fans should shut down, at least in quiet mode, when the temperature is below 50. It's very clear they're trying to combat the "hot laptop" reviews by changing the fan curves in a way that makes the laptop quite annoying to use for noise sensitive people.
Elgreco15
6 Indium

Jump to solution

BUMP. Fix the laptop dell. <Substitue character removed> FIX IT

JohnnyRamone
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Since the update to Windows 10 Version 1903 im no longer able to run the 1.4.1 bios on the Alienware m15 because the system is updating automatically to bios 1.6.2 every time i reboot the system. Is there a workaround? I want to use the 1.4.1 bios until Dell finally fixes the fan controls in a new bios. The m15 is not useable for me with this annoying permanent noise from the fans even in idle mode…..VERY ANNOYING DELL!!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN: PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
JohnnyRamone
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I have installed the 2.1.1 BIOS on my m15 too now because I wasnt able to use the 1.4.1 BIOS anymore with the latest Windows 10 update. Compared to the 1.6.2 BIOS I have to say that there is quite an improvement, the m15 is quieter than it was with the 1.6.2. But it is never as quiet as the 1.4.1 was. The CPU-fan is running at 53% all the time at a CPU-temperature of 40 degrees.

0 Kudos