Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MM

3 Posts

September 15th, 2022 16:00

x14 R1, disable dGPU to improve battery life?

Alienware x14

Alienware x14

Hi,

I saw some reviews about Alienware x14 R1 saying that you can disable the dGPU and only use the integrated XE graphics for improving battery life. But I can't find such option in AWCC and BIOS?

I tried disabling my RTX 3060 in Device Manager. Although the RTX 3060 disappeared in Task Manager, the battery life did not improve at all, I suspect the GPU is still draining power.

Can someone help me?

Hi,

I know it's soldered but on ROG and Legion gaming laptops, there's an "EcoMode" that allows you to shutdown the discrete GPU. Therefore the battery life can improve from 3h to 9h, I'm wondering if Alienware has the same feature.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

Hi @Martin Ma welcome to this free user to user Alienware laptop discussion forum. 

Some Alienware systems have the option to switch between an integrated graphics card and a discrete card to save power by using the right card for the right application. This is possible through NVIDIA Optimus Technology and AMD Switchable Graphics Technology. 

Configuring NVIDIA Optimus and AMD Switchable Graphics for High Performance on your Alienware System | Dell US 

Support for Alienware x14 says Processor is 12th Generation Intel Core and there is no mention of NVIDIA GeForce RTX Optimus Technology. Seemingly this Alienware system does not have this power saving option. 

Thanks for your help!

So there's no other way to turn the GPU off like other gaming laptops except to set the preferred GPU and let it not to perform any tasks? 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

Hi @Martin Ma the Discrete GPU is soldered onto the system board and cannot be removed. 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

September 15th, 2022 17:00

Hi @Martin Ma thank you for the clarification. 

Dell Power Manager can be used to increase battery life but does not shutdown the Discrete GPU to improve laptop run time. There is no Discrete GPU "EcoMode".  @DELL-Cares 

No Events found!