Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2021 13:00

x17 R1, downgrade to Windows 10?

Ok, so I have a high spec x17 R1 in production.

Was mad to find out it comes with Windows 11 (which I called about and apparently it's like rocket science to simply install Windows 10 from the factory), which can reduce gaming performance up to 26% due to VBS (Virtualization Based Security) built into Windows 11. 

I don't need DoD level security on my gaming rig, nor do I want RTX 3070 performance with an RTX 3080. 

So I want to do a clean install of Windows 10, but I don't want to lose AlienFX or have any problems down the road with BIOS versions or whatever.

Has a guide been written on doing the downgrade? Yes I could simply download Windows 10 and uninstall Windows 11, but I just want to make sure everything is going to work correctly afterwards.

Any tips, links, or information greatly appreciated.

TIA

10 Elder

• 

23.6K Posts

December 9th, 2021 07:00

While a Windows 11 system can be downgraded to Windows 10, it's going to require a completely clean install -- so be sure you have ALL the necessary drivers and software available before beginning.

Beyond that, Dell will only support the OS shipped on your system, so be prepared to need to recover the system to Windows 11 if any support -- hardware or software -- is required.  You will want to capture and verify a complete system image before doing anything.

19 Posts

December 10th, 2021 21:00

The 26% performance decrease you are talking about was based on running VBS using a 10th gen processor vs. 11th gen.  Microsoft recommends 11th gen with VBS enabled.  That being said... you can disable VBS if you want.  Just Google how to disable VBS after a fresh/full install.

December 10th, 2021 22:00

Yeah I know. If I didn't have to beg for this thread to be deleted and just coulda did it myself, this wouldn't be here

No Events found!