R

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

October 11th, 2022 17:00

x17 R2, TB4 port running on limited feature

Alienware x17 R2

Alienware x17 R2

I have a Dell WD22TB4 dock connected to my Alienware x17 R2 TB4 port.

Dell Alienware Onscreen Display prompt with below warning:

A Dell Dock has been connected, some features are not supported by this system, please refer to the user manual for additional information.

RickyGao_0-1665533493545.png

When I checked with "Thunderbolt Control Center", I found no devices connected on TB port.

RickyGao_1-1665533593788.png

So I went to Windows 11 device manager, there's no Intel Thunderbolt Controller listed under "System Devices". My previous Dell laptop XPS 9560 has such device shown =

RickyGao_2-1665533670855.png

Further Google search led me to an interesting Reddit discussion

https://www.reddit.com/r/DellXPS/comments/w02hrv/xps_9520_thunderbolt/

It looks like the TB port is connected as USB 4 port and there's some issue on 12th Intel CPU. Just wanted to check if anyone else has notice the same issue?

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

November 6th, 2022 22:00

After spoke to technical support, I am returning my X17 R2 since there's no resolution on it.

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

October 11th, 2022 17:00

Further to my investigation, according to HWinfo, the Thunderbolt connection between Alienware X17 R2 TB4 port and WD22TB4 is running on USB 2.0 speed, not even 3.x

RickyGao_0-1665535378273.png

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

October 12th, 2022 07:00

Hi @RickyGao welcome to this free user-to-user Alienware laptop discussion forum. 

12th Intel CPU (with driver?) should provide transfer rates of up to 40 Gbps for USB4 and Thunderbolt 4. See Alienware x17 R2 Thunderbolt 4.0 port with Power Delivery and What Is Thunderbolt 4? - Intel

Please run Intel® Driver & Support Assistant to get driver and software updates. Thank you. 

If problem persists, please visit your online Dell account to create Service Request so that Dell Support knows that there is a problem to fix. Dell Technical Support will request online session so that they can use their diagnostic tools to fix software problem and/or instigate replacement parts. 

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

October 12th, 2022 16:00

Hi Crimsom,

I understand my Alienware X17 R2 Thunderbolt 4 port can provide up to 40 Gbps.

I have all the latest updates applied on my system.

Apparently the TB4 port currently connecting to my WD22TB4 is running on some weird connection, at least it is not shown in Windows as thunderbolt port.

The reason why I'm saying it is weird is the physical connection seems has "OK" performance impact, since it can still support all below devices connected on WD22TB4

two 4K 60Hz monitor

Gigabyte NIC

Mouse & Keyboard

I would like to post it here to see if more people is having the same issue and raising Dell's awareness.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

October 18th, 2022 17:00

This has been an ongoing problem for me too! Please keep us updated as your issue progresses - best of luck! 

October 21st, 2022 12:00

Off topic.

My old (ish) machine was showing it's age, so I looked around for something new. X17 R2 caught my eyes (good looking, good specs, good price on Dell UK). After a rather disappointing phone call with sales I started to look into customer support received from Dell - Red flag already raised by sales - do they even want to sell the stuff? I think I will take my business (small as it is) elsewhere. Thank you for allowing me to vent my frustration on your forum.

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

October 21st, 2022 16:00

Hi @RickyGao has Intel fixed their 'Thunderbolt Control Center' so that it now works on Windows 11 version 22H2?

Windows 11 version 22H2: Everything you need to know about Microsoft's big 2022 OS update | Windows Central 

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

October 21st, 2022 20:00

Nope, it is still empty in the 'Thunderbolt Control Center' and no thunderbolt devices shown in Windows 11 22H2 device manager.

RickyGao_1-1666409153586.png

RickyGao_0-1666409125868.png

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

October 21st, 2022 20:00

I've seen other brand devices have the same issue, it is an Intel 12th Gen issue, not stick with X17 R2.

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

October 21st, 2022 21:00

Hi @RickyGao how about the Dock? 

Support for Dell Thunderbolt Dock – WD22TB4 has released 19 Oct 2022 update Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver version 1153.9.823.2022, A28. Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver | Driver Details | Dell US 

Driver version in Device Manager should now be Windows 11 - 1153.9.823.2022 

Is the 'ThunderboltTM Software' version listed in Programs & Features? 

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

October 23rd, 2022 00:00

Hi Crimsom,

I have the dock running on the latest firmware.

'ThunderboltTM Software' is not listed in Programs & Features, I manually installed the Windows Store version which used to work perfectly on my previous Intel Gen 11 laptop.

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/thunderbolt-control-center/9N6F0JV38PH1

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

October 30th, 2022 18:00

I just raised a support case, let's see what Dell come back with.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

November 8th, 2022 16:00

Hi @RickyGao ,

I am so sorry nobody was able to help you with your issue. I hope if you ever purchase an Alienware again it would be perfect and no issues would happen. I hope if you purchase any laptop the best of luck and have a good night.

Hi @Limiting Factor , Its your decision to either reject or purchase an Alienware Product. If you believe it was not good at the time due to the Sales Representative performance, I recommend you try the used Alienware market as my Alienware 15 R1 has lasted me so long with its performance and battery life even though its over 8 years old. Just remember this bit of advice, if its the flagship of 10 years ago and its performance is amazing then its good to purchase one.

@

3 Posts

November 10th, 2022 17:00

How is this a solution for your other customers that have the same issue.

What investigations are being done to ensure whether it is a firmware fix, or a hardware fix? What is wrong with our TB4 on this laptop?

Search "TB4 fails on 12th Gen laptop" it may not be just Dell, but since we bought Dell laptops (sorry Alien Ware) we are waiting for the resolution to this issue. You can call a usb-c connector anything you want, but if you label it as TB4 it better be that or it is false advertising (connected to a pcie 4 x 4)

Are you saying the resolution is to return the laptop, full refund? 

I use certified OWC cables (1.5' to lower any change of signal loss in the cable). I've tested the daisy chain on TB3 laptops (Razor and MacBook Pro late 2019), both worked without issues. It was even able to detect the 2 U.2 caddie that hosts 4 x nvme storage (3x 2TB drives), and the 4x16TB(SATA) drives. I also used these to make sure all bases are covered. They are all plug and play so Windows do not need additional drivers and have their own power supplies so no need for power delivery from the laptop. BTW, you can use a TB4 cable to connect 2 pc's together making a better choice to 1Gbps ethernet. Not something I see regularly advertised.

This happened to me over 10years ago and Dell XPS 17 USB2. I was working with Kinect for Windows that requires the proper implementation of USB2. When the laptop never worked, I had one of the engineers have a look to figure out why.  Turns out the port/chipset (Realtek) was not on the PCI gen 2 bus basically not the getting the full speed 10Gbps.

I still have the laptop if you want you want to show a pattern of false advertising.

10 years later, I have a similar issue with yet another Dell flagship product. This time again a fairly new implementation but advertised as TB4. The type-c port/chipset (ASMedia 24xx) is either wired incorrectly not enough bandwidth or detect power requirements (I have seen Windows 11 failed USB power errors, and even once USB Power Exceeded message). Then determine which devices are connected and handle the data switching required.

Looking at device manager by connection, it shows only one USB4. One that is shows the hubs 3 lanes and what usb devices are connected(usb flash drive, usb 3.2 gen2 nvme and he multimedia card reader on the Flex 8 and USB C - A ports).

Under PCIe connection, it only shows the 8 or 9 pcie connectors. all of them yellow caution sign(pci.sys can't be found or loaded). If I can, I remove all of detect ports and devices, and reconnect the drive. This time it could be a couple of things, one is the usb power error, same issue with pci not loading, or it thinks it a USB device error.

3 Posts

November 10th, 2022 19:00

The current state of my machine is showing something new coming out of sleep. the hub is still connected but no Flex 8 detect or list of hard drives

bitblock_5-1668135091215.png

In device manager I see this:

bitblock_1-1668134013883.png

and there is no thunderbolt 3 device listed under USB devices or the chain of device like this:

bitblock_2-1668134156433.png

Note there is no Thunder Bolt 3 device every PCI express downstream switch port is fine.

bitblock_6-1668135229504.png

At this point, I unplug the hub and wait for the disconnect sound and plug it back in.

bitblock_7-1668135501643.png

All seems fine, except under the pci express connections, the upstream/downstream switch port list doesn't show any devices like the usb ports on the hub and flex 8 drive usb ports and mmc card adapter is missing.

In device manager, try to detect any changes again

bitblock_4-1668134835822.png

No change, so disconnecting the hub again first from taskbar and then unplug cable. and back to square one, drives detected but can't load the driver

bitblock_9-1668135991514.png

I just disconnect and unplug and connect the device only. The Flex 8 is Thunderbol 3 only. This is what I get. I didn't remove or refresh device manager, and just plugged in the Flex8.

since I can no longer upload photos imagine

(picture of device manager where the previously device about are now greyed out/disabled and a new list of caution list of pci switch port. the USB4 Device Manager and TB3 are disabled as well) 

Now the power issue pops up on the USB 3.1 extensible control and show a message of:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A USB port reset request failed."

So I reboot device, because there seems to more activity with TB3, I want to run the BIOS detect / test devices. I will report on a new thread.

No Events found!