Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2010 03:00

ADS setup

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Avamar. Trying to set up ADS Gen3 demo equipment.

According to the system  installation manual for Avamar  DataStore Gen3 I need to get "application software customer tarball" and copy it to Avamar. Where can  i find it? Certain passwords and passphrases are mentioned in this  document as well. For example for root and admin which are defaults I  believe, but again I don't know them and I don't know where to find  them. Sorry for stupid question.

266 Posts

October 12th, 2010 07:00

please check your inbox ... it is uploaded ...

Please let me know if anything else required ...   

-r

266 Posts

May 31st, 2010 03:00

There are no stupid questions

you can use this installation. It's not demo but full funconality Avamar version which works fine without license (30 days)

ftp://avamar_ftp:anonymous@ftp.avamar.com/software/5.0.2/v5.0.2.41-customer_unified-v5.0.105.169.tar.gzanonymous@ftp.avamar.com/software/5.0.2/v5.0.2.41-customer_unified-v5.0.105.169.tar.gz

regards,

16 Posts

May 31st, 2010 04:00

Thanks for your reply! Already started to download.

But what about passwords? Why do they say in docs to use root, admin, etc accounts during install but do not specify default passwords. In case of use ADS OS is already preinstalled. How do I know passwords? I've studied installation guides for several versions of avamar and didn't found an info. Should I know this information from any ather source? In this case password "changeme" works for root, but this just goo guess.

266 Posts

May 31st, 2010 05:00

There are different accounts in Avamar world .
for example:  root, admin, dpn

for dpn and admin you use su as root (su - admin), then load the keys ...
  # ssh-agent bash
  # ssh-add ~admin/.ssh/admin_key

you will find it in documentation ... admin guide ...

there is also account with different pwl for replication or "viewuser" to make some sql custom queries ...

18 Posts

May 31st, 2010 20:00

Download the security guide from Powerlink Documents for Avamar.(Or search for 300-008-816 in powerlink). It has default passwords.

25 Posts

September 17th, 2010 04:00

Hi,

I am currently downloading v5.0.2.41-customer_unified-v5.0.105.169.tar.gz. I have gone through 1.29GB and still downloading. Is it almost done? How big is this file???? Can I get it on DVDV from EMC offices here? Nyembe

September 19th, 2010 19:00

Hi,

The size of v5.0.2.41-customer_unified-v5.0.105.169.tar.gz is 2.96GB.

25 Posts

September 20th, 2010 02:00

I managed to download the files I needed 1.8GB and 1.3GB which need to be merged. I copied the files to the Avamar Node and when a try to merge them into 1 tarball which is needed, I get this message. Anyone with some suggestions on the way forward. I would really appreciate you help.

[root@sacr-avamar ~]#
[root@sacr-avamar ~]# cd /emctmp/tarball
[root@sacr-avamar tarball]# cat v5.0.2.41-customer_unified-v5.0.105.169.part0*.bin > v5.0.2.41-customer_unified-v5.0.105.169.tar.gz
cat: write error: No space left on device
[root@sacr-avamar tarball]# cd /usr/local/avamar/src

Thanks in advance

Nyembe

September 21st, 2010 18:00

Hi Nyembe,

I guess the path you are using (/emctmp/tarball) is under your root partition which does not have so much space.

Please move the files to /usr/local/avamar/src/ and try again.

Hope this would be helpful.

Regards,

Sean Xu

25 Posts

September 22nd, 2010 03:00

Hi,

The other link / URL I need for this Gen3 Avamar Node is for the following:-

Gen1 & Gen2 (rhel4u6)    cd software/ADS_GEN2-files/mget *                         For all Dell Specific file downloads

Files needed

•              ESM_FRMW_LX_R149431.BIN
  •              dkms-2.0.13-1.noarch.rpm
  •              RAC_FRMW_LX_R175502.BIN
  •              megaraid_sas-v00.00.03.16-1.noarch.rpm
  •              PE2950_BIOS_LX_2.2.6.BIN
  •              FRMW_LX_R169302.BIN
  •              RAID_FRMW_LX_R201071.BIN
  •              OM_5.4.0_ManNode_A00.tar.gz
  •              gsan

Thanks again for your continued support...

rgds

nyembe

25 Posts

September 22nd, 2010 03:00

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I checked the partitions and I moved the files to a partition with more space. I merged the files into a tarball and now I get an error  message. I have another EMC ADS Gen2 Node which I want to use instead. Where can I get the ISO file for the OS Linux

(avamar-kickstart-rhel4u6-64-VERSION.iso). I would want to use this 1TB node for this.

1.Rekickstart the Node

2. Install Avamar Software

3. Configure the Avamar Singel Node

4. Configure MC and Clients and run sample backups

This is in readiness for th POC for a cusotmer this week. Thanks for your and the links to the downloads. Nyembe

25 Posts

September 22nd, 2010 05:00

Sorry I meant Gen2 in the earlier posting!!

25 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 02:00

Thanks all for helping with the earlier issues. I have an EMC Avamar ADS Gen2 1TB Node which I kickstarted and that went well. I installed the mandatory software and again this went without a glitch. I am now at the stage of installing avqinstall (page 63 on the manual). I tried both the following commands but still get the error message below.

COMMANDS

root@sacr-avamar:/usr/local/avamar/src/#: avqinstall

root@sacr-avamar:/usr/local/avamar/src/#: avqinstall --noconnectemc

ERROR

[avqinstall v5.0.0-38]
avqinstall: INFO: logging to     "/usr/local/avamar/var/log/avqinstall.log"
avqinstall: ERROR: cannot install Avamar server software on         unsupported node type "supernode"
*** For details please see the log file:     "/usr/local/avamar/var/log/avqinstall.log"
root@sacr-avamar:/usr/local/avamar/src/#:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

rgds

Nyembe

25 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 03:00

Hi,

Thanks. It worked. Now I have a problem with the following when I try and run the avqinstall I get this message

root@sacr-avamar:/usr/local/avamar/src/#: avqinstall --noconnectemc                         
[avqinstall v5.0.0-38]
avqinstall: INFO: logging to "/usr/local/avamar/var/log/avqinstall.log"
avqinstall: ERROR: no server tarball found matching Avamar naming convention vVERSION-customer*.tar.gz in /usr/local/avamar/src
*** For details please see the log file: "/usr/local/avamar/var/log/avqinstall.log"
root@sacr-avamar:/usr/local/avamar/src/#: ls
backup_changenodetype.tar  config_info.bak     dt.c         dt_rand.h      overflow_remote_dpe.pl  v5.0.41-customer_unified-v5.0.105.169.tar.gz
change_nodetype            cps.c               dt.makefile  dt_standard.h  RHEL4_64
config_info                create_newconfigs-  dt_rand.c    Makefile.cps   rpms
root@sacr-avamar:/usr/local/avamar/src/#:

Please advice on the next steps. Thanks in advance.

207 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 03:00

Please change the node type using the below command

/usr/local/avamar/src/change_nodetype --utility

Regards

Amol Powar

No Events found!