Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 9th, 2013 12:00

Accessing Avamar Database From Remote Host

I need to extract some of the information from the Avamar mcdb database from a remote server. When I try to connect to the PostgreSQL database I get a message:

no pg_hba.conf entry for host "x.x.x.x", user "admin,database "postgres", SSL off

NOTE: x.x.x.x is the IP address of my remote server.

I did some searching on the Internet for this error and it says that I need to add a record to the pg_hba.conf file for my host. When I look at the /data01/avamar/var/mc/server_data/postgres/data/pg_hba.conf file it looks like there's an entry

host mcdb all 0.0.0.0/0 md5

Shouldn't this allow connections from any remote host? What do I need to do to be able to connect to this database from my remote host?

Thanks.

2K Posts

October 9th, 2013 13:00

Sorry, momentary loss of sanity.

You need to use the viewuser / viewuser1 account for remote access to the mcdb views. Accessing the mcdb from remote systems using the admin account is not supported.

2K Posts

October 9th, 2013 12:00

It sounds like your host is trying to connect to the internal "postgres" database instead of the "mcdb" database. The postgres database stores internal PostgreSQL information and should not be accessible from remote hosts. Please be sure that your remote client is configured to connect to the mcdb database.

94 Posts

October 9th, 2013 13:00

In the database configuration I specified port 5555 user admin database mcdb. So I'm not sure why it's trying to connect to the postgres database.

94 Posts

October 9th, 2013 14:00

You're a genius. Once I used this user I was able to connect successfully.

94 Posts

October 9th, 2013 17:00

So can you change the viewuser password?

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

October 9th, 2013 20:00

as far as i know it can't be changed.

2K Posts

October 10th, 2013 08:00

I guess I should've seen this question coming. At the moment we don't support changing the viewuser password. There's currently an internal discussion ongoing about this.

94 Posts

October 10th, 2013 12:00

Ok so what passwords can be changed on Avamar? I know there's MCUser, root, admin, dpn.

Thanks.

2K Posts

October 10th, 2013 12:00

The change-passwords script allows the passwords for the following built-in accounts to be changed:

OS accounts: root, admin, dpn

DPN accounts: root, MCUser

The passwords for other built-in DPN accounts such as backuponly. restoreonly, etc. can be changed through the GUI.

In addition, Avamar uses SSH keys to authenticate between nodes (primarily from the utility node to the storage nodes). It is strongly recommended to regenerate the dpnid key and the admin key using the change-passwords script.

You can find instructions and best practices for Avamar security in the security manual and the operational best practices guide.

No Events found!