Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2016 12:00

Avamar+DataDomain - Instant Access Restore Requirements?

When I restore a small VM via Avamar & DataDomain Instant Access feature everything works fine and I get a 1TB VM restored in about a minute. Once I do the same with a larger Fileserver (4TB) the Instant Access restore fails with cryptical errors.

vmir Error <0000>: Mount NFS datastore failed to start with error: Failed to update the NFS datastore for the target virtual machine.

vmir Error <0000>: Failed to mount NFS datastore

The NFS data store is actually mounted. Doing the same process to the same host with smaller VM works fine.

Are there any requirements like amount of free space on the DataDomain for the InstantAccess restore option?
It seems like I need  at least the size of the VM free on the DD but that is just a wild guess from my side...

Kind Regards

Nikolaus

2K Posts

January 26th, 2016 14:00

The release version of the software (incorrectly) included a free space check on the Data Domain. Since fastcopies don't require additional capacity, this space check is not needed. If you contact support, they should be able to help you install the correct hotfix for this issue. The bug number is 235526 in case support asks for it. The hotfix is for the Avamar Administrator Server so applying it requires an MCS restart but not a full system reboot.

The issue is resolved in Avamar 7.2.1. The most recent MCS rollup hotfixes for 7.1.1-145 and 7.2.0-401 should also include a fix for this issue.

3 Posts

February 4th, 2016 02:00

Thanks for the Information. The Hotfix has been installed and "Instant Access" works like a charm

2K Posts

February 4th, 2016 07:00

My pleasure! Glad to hear things are working now.

1 Message

March 13th, 2019 22:00

Do we need to do down the source VM in order to perform the Vmotion.?
I mean,if you try restoring to new virtual machine,does it take all network settings including IP/hostname/mac address of the source VM ? ...If yes then do we need to power off the source while we perform the Vmotion ?

No Events found!