Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2014 13:00

Avamar Image Level Backup - 'Timed Out -Start'

Hi

I recently got my vCenter server added to Avamar, deployed the proxy, added data stores and went through and added one VM (Windows server 2012) for testing purposes to make sure image level backups would work.

I used the default image backup dataset and a schedule to backup at 9pm.

After making sure all was in place I still am getting a Timed Out - Start failure on the image level backup for this VM. I've attempted to reboot the Proxy and I still get the Timed Out - Start.

Is there something more on the server or VM side I need to configure to get the image level backup to work or is there somewhere I can get a more in depth log of the errors?

Thanks

July 28th, 2014 13:00

Did you add the test vm to the members tab of the backup group you created?

To be the Best Pipeline in North America that operates Safely, Reliably and Efficiently

Brent Davis – Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline - email: brent.davis@sscgp.com – Phone: 270-852-4963 – Cell: 270-316-0025

1 Attachment

5 Posts

July 29th, 2014 14:00

Does your proxy see the correct datastores?

3 Posts

July 29th, 2014 15:00

The VM is under the VirtualMachines group under the vCenter I added in Avamar. It does see all of the data stores which enabled me to add the correct VM on the Avamar side and it still Times out to start

2K Posts

July 29th, 2014 15:00

A job will report "Timed Out - Start" if it remains queued for its entire configured schedule and never gets a chance to start running. Jobs will stay queued if they do not have access to some required resource. The most common culprits are:

• Another backup job running on the client (only one job at a time can run on a client under most circumstances)
  • All available sessions in use on the server (the exact number of jobs that can run concurrently varies depending on version but is between 18 and 72 jobs per storage node, with a limit of 500 concurrent sessions per system)
  • No proxies with access to the correct datastores are free (if there is a job running or hung on the proxy, for example)

If this information does not help you resolve the problem, I would recommend contacting support for assistance.

355 Posts

July 30th, 2014 07:00

In addition to that... If all available sessions are in use, try to increase backup window (increase run time) for client which is failing with this error.

Regards,

Pawan

2 Posts

July 30th, 2014 12:00

Try to reboot and re-register your proxy.  Sometimes I get weird timeouts as well and this does the trick. 

11 Posts

November 18th, 2014 22:00

re-register proxy means? where to re-register it. either on client or Backup Server.

Thanks

498 Posts

November 19th, 2014 07:00

not what they meant.....

go to administration window

find your proxy

right click and edit

here you have 2 tabs

Datastores and groups

make sure you select all datastore and all groups.

this then tells the proxy that it is allowed to do backups for any servers in the groups that are in any of the datastores.

if you have not done this step then the vm backup has nothing to let it run on.

No Events found!