Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2014 07:00

Data Restore to Different Location

I currently use Avamar 6.1.2-47.

I have a client using the Windows File System Plug-In.  On the server I have a folder which contains some critical data.  What I'm trying to do is restore that data (1.6 TB) to a different location on a CIFS Server share I have created.

When I go through the prompts to "Set Destination" and "Save Target(s) in Directory" I enter the path to the CIFS Server share location.

The job fails with error code 10007 and the log entries look like:

2014-01-09 08:31:52 avtar FATAL <5381>: Unable to create directory "\\archival\kb_corp_restore_test\kb_corp\933" (code 2: The system cannot find the file specified).

I'm not even certain this can be accomplished because the Plug-In for the Windows Server and the CIFS Server are different.  If any one can offer some insight I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ron

2K Posts

January 9th, 2014 07:00

I assume you're restoring to the CIFS share through a Windows client? If so, this should work but you will likely have to adjust the Avamar Backup Agent service settings. By default, the agent service runs under the SYSTEM account which is not permitted to access network resources. In order for the agent to access the network share, you will have to change the user account for the backup agent to a user account that has permission to access the share.

To make this change, open the Services control panel, select the Backup Agent service, then select Action => Properties. Move to the "Log On" tab, select "This account" and enter the credentials for an account with the correct permissions. Once this is done you should be able to run the restore.

Edit: Don't forget to restart the service after you make the change.

9 Posts

January 9th, 2014 12:00

Thank you.  Your suggestion to change the "Backup Agent" service account log on has fixed the problem.  I'm currently running the restore form the Windows backups to the CIFS share.  I have one follow-up question for you if you don't mind.  To speed up the restore in subsequent restores I see in the more options I can choose to "Overwrite existing files" with options that include "If Modified" and "If Newer."  I hate to ask but what is the difference between those options?  I'm guessing "Modified" means exactly that, the restored file has been modified since the last backup.  But what exactly does "If Newer" mean?  Does that mean only restore files that do not already exist in the restore target directory?

2K Posts

January 9th, 2014 14:00

My pleasure! I'm glad you were able to get it working.

According to the documentation, the "If Modified" option skips restoration of any file where the timestamp on the restore target is the same as the timestamp in the backup and the "If Newer" option only restores files if the timestamp on the restore target is older than the timestamp in the backup. I haven't tested this myself but that's the documented behaviour.

No Events found!