Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 5th, 2012 05:00

Dataset Exceptions for a single client within a Group

I have a Group that contains multiple clients that has a Dataset applied to it.  I would like to do an exception, but only for one of the specific client within that Group.  Is this possible or is any exception specificed within the Dataset automatically applied to every client within the Group?

Thanks

Ken

2K Posts

April 5th, 2012 06:00

Unfortunately datasets can't be configured with exceptions in this way.

If you only have one client affected, the easiest thing to do would probably be to create an avtar.cmd file in the var subdirectory of the Avamar Client install path (by default this is C:\Program Files\avs\var on Windows or /usr/local/avamar/var on Linux) that contains an exclude flag for the path you wish to exclude:

--exclude=c:/path/to/exclude

Note that flags specified on the command line or in .cmd files uses forward slashes for path separators even on Windows.

31 Posts

Unfortunately this means that I need to create and maintain another Dataset just for this one (1) client correct? 

My goal was to minimize the number Datasets and we have a handful of servers that all have the same characteristics, with the exception of wanting to exclude a specific directory on one client but not the others.  I was hoping there was a way to sepecify an exception in the Dataset, but only make it specifc to a single client, thus allowing multiple clients to use a single dataset.

2K Posts

I thought I'd mentioned the page number but it appears I forgot -- this is from pages 154-155 of the guide.

2K Posts

You can find instructions on how to do this in the Avamar 6.0 Administrator Guide (on PowerLink search for it by part number: 300-011-622). I've pasted an excerpt below for reference:

Assigning a different dataset to a client

1. In Avamar Administrator, click the Policy launcher button.
    The Policy window appears.
  2. Click the Policy Management tab.
  3. Click the Clients tab.
  4. Select the client for which to override the dataset assignment.
  5. Open the Actions menu and select Client > Edit Client.
    The Edit Client window appears.
  6. Click the Dataset tab.
  7. Select a dataset from the Select an Existing Dataset list.

NOTE: You cannot edit dataset properties in this window.

Detailed dataset properties are shown so that you can

review them before you make a selection. Editing a dataset

(page 114) provides details on how to edit dataset

properties.

1. Select Override group dataset.
  2. Click OK.

This will override the dataset for the specific client.

No Events found!