Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2017 10:00

EMC Multiple Systems Management

I currently use Avamar Administrator running on a Windows Server to monitor backup activity, alerts, and errors.  I am upgrading the Avamar Server to version 7.4 soon and it is my understanding that I have to start using EMC Multiple Systems Management.

Are you using EMC Multiple Systems Management?  Do you like it?

Can I run it on a Windows Server?

Do I have to use it?

Please tell me what you know.

Thanks!

Tim

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 7th, 2017 03:00

Hi

MSM is a management and monitoring tool mainly used for monitoring Avamar and Data domain..Apart from just monitoring you can also use to perform certain activities on Avamar System .This is very helpful if environment has multiple Avamar and Data Domain.

August 7th, 2017 08:00

Are you using EMC Multiple Systems Management PriyankaMunishwarachary?  Do you like it?

Can I run it on a Windows Server?

Do I have to use it?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 10th, 2017 00:00

MSM is not replacement of Avamar Administrator , You can still continue to use your Avamar Administrator with 7.4.

You need to setup MSM using OVF file or install it on physical machine(suse). Unless you are planning to manage multiple avmar machine you should be with Administrator.

You can check " Multiple-Systems-Management-1.0-Getting-Started-Guide" to get started on getting information about MSM.

August 10th, 2017 06:00

Thanks IIavarasan_C.  I will only be managing two Avamar grids so I will stick to using Avamar Administrator.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 13th, 2017 07:00

MSM is definitely good UI for monitoring, however few minor bugs are there  and we are expecting the hotfix in upcoming version .

its simple and easy to use GUI and have implemented in few sites.

6 Posts

October 13th, 2017 08:00

If you are on 7.4, stay away from this product for now.  It has a major bug in the messaging activation.  I have fought it for weeks with EMC support, only for them to tell me there is a bug, and they are working on a fix.  If you are on 7.5, it will work fine.

October 17th, 2017 13:00

Wow.  Thank you so much ndcart!

2K Posts

October 18th, 2017 06:00

Could you provide the bug number? I'd like to review the details.

No Events found!