To_Ng
2 Bronze

F_cache on unix client (solaris)

Hi All;

Anyone know about f_cache on unix client. How can I configure on it ? I have a big file data (2TB - 4 TB) with multiple directories. Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

Re: F_cache on unix client (solaris)

Can you be more specific? What is the problem you're trying to solve? Is this an Avamar backup or an Avamar / DD backup?
0 Kudos
To_Ng
2 Bronze

avamar/DD backup. I have a big file 2 - 4 TB with multiple directories. I ran backup, it took 10 hrs. I know avamar has a new F_cache file to reduce backup time in Operational Best Practices but it is on windows not on unix. I like to know if I can set  F_cache on unix , thank you

0 Kudos
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

I know avamar has a new F_cache file

The file cache is not new (although the "paging" file cache is newer than the legacy "monolithic" file cache).

but it is on windows not on unix. I like to know if I can set  F_cache on unix

The file cache is not platform specific and is enabled by default.

I have a big file 2 - 4 TB with multiple directories. I ran backup, it took 10 hrs.

This is well within the range of expected performance for a dataset of this size. The performance of an Avamar backup is typically limited by the performance of the underlying filesystem.

0 Kudos
To_Ng
2 Bronze

The file cache is not platform specific and is enabled by default.

on p55 of Operational Best Practices

The following cache files are located in the Avamar /var directory on the client:
driveC_f_cache.dat
driveC_p_cache.dat
driveE_f_cache.dat
driveE_p_cache.dat
driveF_f_cache.dat
driveF_p_cache.dat
driveG_f_cache.dat
driveG_p_cache.dat

Can I do it as same on unix ?

I have some directories to backup

/u21

/u22